1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet The Press: Who should get the gig?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Jun 16, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems somewhat unseemly to speculate on the RIP thread, but a number people being talked about (David Gregory, Andrea Mitchell, Brokaw, Chuck Todd).

I'm figuring they use Brokaw in combination with the above over the next few months. Long term? John King's contract at CNN is up, though that would probably be a big diss to Gregory. But after dancing with Rove at the Correspondents dinner last year, I'm just not seeing Gregory in that chair.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Re: MTP: Who should get the gig?

I could see Andrea Mitchell there. I think David Schuster should get a look as well.

There was a report out of LA that Joe Scarbrough is a contender. Heaven help us if that's true.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I doubt she'll get it because she's obviously a partisan (so is Scarborough, though) is Rachel Maddow.

She's been all over MSNBC this year. When she filled in for Olbermann one night, she drew the highest ratings for cable news. They've got her filling in for Gregory today on Race for the White House. She's very good.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Um, no.

And while Russert's death was only a few hours old before the Daily Kos crowd was touting Keith Olbermann, I doubt he gets it, either.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

David Gregory. Everyone else is playing for silver.

YD&OHS, etc

6. JBHawkEye

I'm saying that's the likely choice.

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Dismissing Rachel because she's a butch-looking lesbian is not a smart idea.

8. JBHawkEye

Um, did I do that? I looked back through my post, and I don't think I said that.

Sorry, try again.

I'm saying they aren't giving their flagship political show to someone who's been on TV for only a year and works for a highly partisan radio network.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Scarborough is a little less partisan than you'd think. He's not as pro-GOP as he was on Scarborough Country. He's a good choice.

If David Gregory could learn to pick on both parties equally -- he's my best choice for the job.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The problem, as noted elsewhere, is that Russert's death leaves several jobs to be filled.

Brokaw would be the best answer to hold the fort at Press the Meat through the end of the campaign season.

But there's also the Washington bureau chief job and, though it's not widely known, the responsibility for giving both Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews their daily meds.

11. Re: MTP: Who should get the gig?

I'd like to see Chuck Todd doing at least some of the things Russert did.

12. Re: MTP: Who should get the gig?

Yeah, screw it: I think Todd should host MTP.

David Gregory, in my opinion, is annoying.

Draft saved Draft deleted