1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet the Press 7/24 (debt/journalism side)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KP, Jul 24, 2011.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The pizza analogy for government is a stretch.

To fairly compare, the pizza owner would have to give away 30 percent of his product (medicare, medicaid, social security and welfare) and allocate another 15 percent of his revenue to pay the lingering costs of the (price) war the previous owner started with two rivals on the other side of town.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At least I didn't do a pizza delivery analogy.

30 minutes or less, or you don't have to pay tax on the pizza.

3. J Staley

J Staley Member

I guess the pizza analogy could work in a broad sense because the government gives pizza to the poorest customers (including some that could afford it on their own), while giving significant volume discounts to the wealthiest customers (who, of course, could afford the regular price). Meanwhile, the middle class customers pay full price.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Didn't you just get on me for taking this thread off topic?

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

The Bush tax cuts alone did not lead to a drop in tax revenues...and I think you know that. Tax revenues correlate with economic growth, not tax rates. Blame Bush for a bad economy if you want, but to blame the Bush tax cuts for a drop in tax revenues is disingenuous.

6. J Staley

J Staley Member

Yes, but now the threadjack is complete.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The Republicans don't want to give Obama a victory. If they figure out something before the clock strikes midnight, Obama looks like a hero.
    And to further my Oliver Stone conspiracy theory: Despite stimulus money and the economy slowly moving toward recovery, businesses/companies aren't spending any money to hire. They're just banking profits. Again, a high unemployment rate makes Obama look bad.

8. YankeeFan

Eh, sorry. I tried.

We really don't need two threads on the same subject.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If the newspaper guys ran the pizza parlor, they would sell off the oven, cash register and rolling pin. Then they would trap the delivery drivers in an all-day seminar to discuss a survey about what pizza customers want.

10. YankeeFan

That could work.

They could still make the pizza. They'd just have to contract with one of their competitors to bake the pizza and delivery.

(I'm looking at you, Chicago Sun-Times Pizza.)

11. J Staley

J Staley Member

And they'd probably layoff all but one driver and cook while keeping four shift managers. And they'd expect the quality and productivity of the driver and cook to remain constant.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

I'd say there's a similar analogy.

Newspaper executives are on a crack-habit-like cutting binge.

Washington is on a crack-habit-like self-serving spending binge.

Draft saved Draft deleted