1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet the new JRC, worse than the old JRC: NH Register will no longer be printed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Jan 10, 2012.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Per the Connecticut Post, it will happen this year and--shocking--105 jobs will be eliminated.

https://twitter.com/#!/connpost/status/156865569575014400

I fucking told you so. Of course, guaranteeing the new JRC would blow was easier than guaranteeing the Bengals won't win this weekend. But still.

Meanwhile, Bob Jelenic looks up and goes "Damn. I wish I'd done that."

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It looks like JRC is closing its presses, but the papers will be printed by the Hartford Courant:

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/register_laying_off_105_workers/

Which still sucks. Because when another paper controls your deadlines, it won't be good.

Yup, I know they probably have a contract. What happens when that runs out and your presses have long since been sold for scrap, and the other paper says, "You are now off the floor at 6 p.m."

I fear the same problem for the Boston Herald with its deal with the Globe.

3. This has been done by probably of dozens of newspapers (out-sourcing printing of the paper to another press or plant).

Doesn't make it suck any less for the people affected, but this trend is widespread.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

L.A. Times has that issue now -- on its own presses. Wall Street Journal gets precedence for later deadlines when printing the A section of the Times, though when I was out there recently, it seemed some later news was in the A section (as opposed to the LATEXTRA section).

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

We have the issue at our presses as well.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Herald always has the Dow Jones plant in western Massachusetts to which they can go back. The Globe is only printing the Herald's city edition.

Draft saved Draft deleted