1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet the new Hardy Boys

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Feb 13, 2007.

?

What do you think...

Poll closed Feb 20, 2007.
  1. Good idea

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Bad idea

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. I prefer Nancy Drew

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I read these books all the time too, and I think this will make Starsky and Hutch look like a fucking Oscar winner. This idea blows to holy hell.

Oh, and will they cast an Iola? Remember in the new books they came out with she died, though her doppleganger was sure to make an appearance in damn near every book.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I forgot about Biff Hooper. Also, surprisingly enough, their Jewish friend is the nerdy one.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/5567/characters.html

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Who's going to be Chief Collig? Wilford Brimley?

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

If I was to cast Leroy (aka Encyclopedia) Brown, here is my wish list:

Encyclopedia: Tobey Maguire
    Sally Kimball: Felecity Huffman
    Bugs Meany: the big cop from "Cold Case"
    Chief Brown: Treat Williams

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man, some good memories reading this thread. I read just about every series referenced here: The Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown (Bugs Meany was a badass), Choose Your Own Adventure. I even read some Nancy Drews that collected dust in my sister's room. [/turning in the guy card]

I have to admit, I really like the concept. What I do not like is Ben Stiller and, particularly, dickbag Cruise starring in it.

The best Chet Morton is dead: Chris Penn. He'd be perfect.

This movie would work really well if it was done on a shoestring budget and with a heavy dose of irony.

That said, I bet this never gets out of development, or, worse yet, goes the way of Brenda Starr.

I'd like to make the SportsJournalists.com version...which would likely be written by Zeke and titled "The Mystery Of The Missing ATM Girl." In this very special Hardy Boys movie, Iola Morton disappears after a night of raunchy sex with Joe. Is Frank involved? And what will Chet do to Joe once he finds out how he defiled his sister?

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

You know, Tom Cruise is only funny unintentionally.

Between those two, everyone else cast in the film will have to be 5-4 or shorter.

I don't think I could ever see a Tom Cruise movie ever again, not that I ever really did. I think I've seen JUST about enough of his stupid, ever-expanding presence in the last year to last 100 lifetimes.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I like Maguire, or maybe the Harry Potter kid, but Felicity Huffman? Tom Cruise? Are these where are they now movies that had them aging since the books were written?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hear hear. Even his good movies (Risky, Top Gun, The Firm, AFGM) -- I can't get into them anymore.

This "Hardy Boys" movie is the worst idea since sliced bread. It shouldn't be a comedy, in the first place. And the casting is just so ... big-budget, unoriginal Hollywood. What a traveshamockery. Way to destroy my youth, moviemakers. Go fuck yourselves.

9. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

In reference to that newer series of Hardy Boys books that someone mentioned, I remember one in which they directly ripped off Caretaker's death in The Longest Yard (exploding light bulb causing a fire). When one of the Hardys suggested an exploding light bulb caused a fire that killed someone and he was asked where he came up with an idea like that, he even replied, "I once saw it in a movie."

Another favorite from when I was little was the "You Be The Jury" series by Marvin Miller. Similar to the Encyclopedia Brown series where there'd be a series of cases, only these were presented as a trial and you'd read the testimony of witnesses, then get to look at three illustrations of evidence at the end of each case. Two of the pieces of evidence were red herrings, but one somehow tied into the testimony and proved someone's guilt or innocence. Pretty cool stuff.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Good call on Chris Penn at Chet.

Trivia question: Give me the first (only?) movie he and Tom Cruise had prominent roles in.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Cruise is an inspired choice.

Guy needs to do a comedy in the worst way.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm going to guess All The Right Moves, but that seems a bit too obvious.

Draft saved Draft deleted