1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet the Left's David Duke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 12, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Charles Barron, is a New York City Councilman who, "who has allied himself with despots like Muammar Qaddafi and Robert Mugabe, while calling Israel 'the biggest terrorist in the world.'

He's known for, "his explosive statements about white people (he'd like to slap one, "for my mental health"), Jews (Black people are the real "Semites") and foreign policy."

He's "a self-described "revolutionary Pan-Africanist" who donned a red Nehru jacket with gold braid to receive the brutal Zimbabwean dictator at City Hall in 2002."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeedpolitics/public-worker-unions-back-controversial-barron-in

And, he's called Capitalism a, "deeply-rooted illness within America."

Ed Koch and a handful of Jewish elected officials have called him an, "enemy of Israel."

http://fort-greene.thelocal.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/is-charles-barron-an-enemy-of-israel/

Why is this important? Well, he's likely to win the Democratic nomination for the Congressional seat being vacated by Ed Towns.

And, who is backing his campaign -- municipal labor unions. Brilliant!

Tone deaf.

And, they wonder why they don't have the public's support. They'll endorse anyone who backs their agenda.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

We live in a Democratic republic, if the people of New York's 10 District want him, they have the right to elect him.

I have less of a problem with this guy then I did with Dukes and Cheney and Jesse Jackson and Trent Lott and Maxine Waters and Jeff Sessions...

He's open and honest about who he hates and why. You can hate what he says, but at least he says it in clear, unmistakable language, unlike the other gutter snipes.
    Like D.C.'s Ward 8 (Marion Barry), if you elect this ass-clown, which you have the absolute right to do, don't expect rational civilized people to treat you with respect.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The only thing that the right-wing puppeteers fear more than unions is the possibility of unions becoming extinct and leaving them with no boogeyman to blame.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Naw. They'll come up with somebody else, like Teh Gayz.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I have more of a problem with Paul Ryan, who is capable of seriously damaging this country. Barron is a whack job and what he says should be condemned. But he's not engaging in unrestricted class warfare on lower income people like Ryan.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A black man saying racist things is on par with a white man saying racist things, only if you want to ignore the history of which group has done the most harm with that kind of rhetoric.

There is a major difference between David Duke and Charles Barron. David Duke is a white man, and there is no history of organized discrimination and laws against white men. No one would have known who David Duke was, if he didn't have a history with the KKK. That is because the KKK has a long, notorious history of hurting a lot of people.

There is no black KKK that has a long history of stringing white men up from trees. Charles Barron has been around forever, saying stupid, hateful stuff. Most people outside of NYC (and inside NYC, actually) have no clue who he is. The stuff he says isn't right, and he's an opportunistic asshole, but he doesn't carry the name of the KKK with him.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree with this point of view. I don't know very much about either Barron or Jeffries but I do know the 10th district includes Fort Greene, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brownsville, East New York and Canarsie, where union-busting through charter schools is a bigger issue than Barron's thoughts about Israel. And if the best the mainstream local Democrats can come up with is taking an anti-union position on Charter schools, the unions probably should support Barron's candidacy because it's in their best interests to do so.

8. vicd

vicd Active Member

I love how hating capitalism is equivalent to hating black people.

9. The Big Ragu

Who said that?

10. vicd

vicd Active Member

11. The Big Ragu

Where does the "equivalent to hating black people" come from?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The David Dukes/KKK analogy, presumably

Draft saved Draft deleted