1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet Lefty-Brained ... and answer some questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jun 5, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

get her some notebooks designed for lefties when she gets older. a couple of my friends used those in high school and said they worked wonders.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, god yes. Traditional spiral notebooks are the bane of my fucking existence. ::)

But frankly, I would prefer one of these even if I never had been a reporter:

[​IMG]

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

True dat.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Do you guys mean the desks that have the bar connected to the seat on the right side? Because as a righty, I always preffered having the bar on the left side. Just easier that way. Lefties have it easy with most desks being made with the bar on the right.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

The ones I sat in were a lot more sickly looking than this.

The "Handedness Research Institute," which takes itself seriously, has investigated the matter.

http://handedness.org/action/fairdesks.html

6. Played some more catch with the kid today and I'm fairly certain she's right-handed. She bats right handed and she throws better right-handed, yet she maintains her left arm is strongest. She also writes best right-handed.

Wonder if I can exchange the glove even if I already removed the pricetags.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Technically, she's righty-brained.

My father have had left-handedness practically beat out of him as a kid in the 40s and 50s turned into an advantage playing catch with either myself or my brother. He could wear my brother's glove and throw right-handed to me, or wear mine and throw left-handed to my brother.

Four kids, no lefties yet, though my oldest son eats left-handed.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

She just wants to be cool, W-b. It's normal. Being left is right.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What LJB posted. As a lefty, I've described those shitty desks in a lot of ways, but "easier" wasn't one of them. Those things are awful.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Those desks were murder. Not enough to make you complain to the school board, but you always had a ready excuse for mom and pop. ;)

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I always felt bad for the lefties who had to sit in those. In some classrooms that I had as a student, there were one or two left-handed desks, but they never seemed to be enough. Most didn't have any at all.

12. digger

digger New Member

Being a left-handed person forced to live in a righty world, I have to say, it's not so bad. I've been forced to figure out how to make things work (and adjust) my whole life. It's probably made me more adaptable in all kinds of situations. (looking at it from the bright side).

I can play golf equally poorly both lefty and righty. (and it helps being able to hit with a right-handed club if you're stuck next to a tree.).

I actually bat right-handed, because my brothers were right handed and that's how I learned. I've never gotten the hang of it (I think it's mostly a vision thing, I just can't see the ball well) when I've tried to hit lefty, although I do have more power from that side. But I miss to much.

I can catch pretty well with a right-handed glove, I just can't throw that way.

So anyway, there are plenty of advantages (everyone focuses on the disadvantages) to growing up lefty.

Draft saved Draft deleted