1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet Lefty-Brained ... and answer some questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Mike--I do what I can.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And that's all we ask. After all, you're only flesh and blood.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Hey, I've got to be good at something. It might as well be being clueless.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Speaking of great movies. ...

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As for the original post, W-B:

No need to do anything different for a lefty, other than encourage them to do what's most comfortable.

Growing up in a right-handed world, most lefties learn to adapt quickly. I learned how to use scissors with my right hand because that's all I ever used. I wouldn't feel comfortable using lefty scissors, even if I tried. ...

Penmanship can be a challenge -- but, again, encourage her to do what's comfortable. It doesn't matter how she holds the pen, as long as what she writes is legible to a teacher. That said, when buying pens for school, try to go for models where the ink won't rub off quite as much on the side of her hand. It's annoying as fuck, and you never quite get used to it, but it's part of life as a lefty.

As for the glove, many gloves these days come pre-"broken in" ... oil or shoe polish or "glove polish" can actually be damaging to some models. At least, that's what I've heard (I haven't bought a glove in years -- still use the one I've had since I was about 13.) All you should need to do is stick a ball inside it, tie it real tight for a day or two, and then start playing catch with it to loosen it up.

Hope that helps. Being left-handed is a treasure. I hope you teach her to cherish her uniqueness.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Mmm....

[​IMG]

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wait ... I thought Mikey was the clueless one around here.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

To get this thread back on track.
    I'm left handed and never understood how other lefties write with their wrists wrapped around the pencil. I write normal, but penmanship isn't my best quality. Used the left-handed green-handled scissors when I was younger, but have adjusted. Drafting class in HS was a bitch because I would always drag my hand across the page. Shoot a basketball (not very well) rightie and throw with both hands.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

For me it's simple, BB: I taught myself to write. ... And then resisted every teacher's efforts to hold the pen the "right" way. 8)

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I know this for a fact. If you tell a volleyball coach your daughter is left-handed, their eyes will light up. If she is a setter, being left-handed is an absolute advantage. And having a left-handed opposite hitter (same side as the setter) also is an advantage. There is no special volleyball gear for lefties, it's all the same price.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

First time I tried to play catch with a hardball was with a left-handed glove handed down to me. I'm a righty. When it became apparent I could catch with it, but not throw with my left hand, I got a new glove. I still can't throw for shit with my left hand, unless I'm doing a backhand toss of some kind.

Draft saved Draft deleted