1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet Lefty-Brained ... and answer some questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jun 5, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Some of the greatest memories of my childhood were playing catch (and taking flyballs and grounders) with my dad, who, BTW, is a lefty. One summer, though, he had broken his left hand, so he just threw catch right-handed until he healed up.

What is the precentage of lefties, in general? Two of the six Pallister siblings are southpaws, and, as mentioned, my dad.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's interesting, pall. My dad, also a lefty, had (has) a talent for putting on a right-hander's glove backward and catching that way. He used to do it a lot when I started pitching, because he would use a regular catcher's mitt to warm me up so as not to hurt his hand.

He passed the skill on to me, which I had to use a lot during middle-school gym class when the only gloves available for the co-ed softball games were for righties. But I'd put it on my right hand anyway, and had no trouble catching the ball.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My dad, younger-older sister and little brother and I are left-handed, and my mom and oldest sister are right-handed. We've got them in numbers, but they school us in brains.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's why you bring your own glove to school, Buck. Sure, you might be the butt of jokes, but you'll never have to share your mitt or wait in line for the last ones left in the pile.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My mother's third husband is a lefty. His saying is, "Lefties are the only ones in their right minds."

6. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

That really isn't very funny.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Funnier than anything Missougrad96 has said on this board.

8. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

Twofold.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What the heck is going on around here?

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I honestly don't remember who I first played catch with, but I'm sure it was either my one-year-older brother or my dad. What I do remember most vividly was that Dad would use a bat and hit fly balls to us. And for what seemed like a really long time I would always misjudge it and it would fall just behind me.

Then, one day we were out in the street in Burnsville, Minn. We had driven the 300-some miles to visit my aunt (mom's sister), uncle and three cousins. Dad was hitting the fly balls to me and the older brother. And this time I stuck my glove up and caught one. I think it had to be early summer of 67, making me just short of 7 by about a month. Maybe it was 68, making me just short of 8.

But it was on the street in front of my aunt and uncle's house in Burnsville, Minn. That much I'm sure of. And the look on Dad's face is still a fond memory 40 or 41 years later.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Good question. I'm clueless--which I guess isn't all that unusual. :D

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

At least some things are on the norm.

Draft saved Draft deleted