1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet Dave

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jul 10, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

He's definitely up there with Chevy as far as Guys Who Fell Off The Funny Cliff.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

.. which raises one question... Why?

the last decent movie he headlined was The Distinguished Gentleman, and that was in something like 1991. I know it was a long time ago because I was under 40 and there were still active major leaguers older than I was at the time.

I mean, why do people go to his movies any more?

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Eddie was so great back in the 80's, his standup stuff was classic. Coming to America is still one of my faves as are Trading Places, BH Cop I (2 was OK, 3 sucked), 48 hours. I have not seen a movie of his, on purpose, since Life. Sadly, he will never be able to return to the form that he once had beacuse he does movies that he wants his kids to be able to see and I think he has a young kid with one of the Spice Girls.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

It's simple. There are what...3, maybe 4 major films that open nationwide each week? Families want to get out of the house and they head to the local cinema in droves to see the latest dull shit this guy has made. It's unoffensive fluff, a way to waste 2 hours, and parents also remember back to their youth when Murphy was tremendous.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now if we could just relegate Eddie to the occassional random guest spot on Law & Order.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Got it! It was "Meet Bill". Maybe a limited-releaser or a nearly straight to video, but still, just came out in April. Must have seen a commercial or a trailer, because I sure as heck didn't see the movie. Starred Aaron Eckhart and Elizabeth Banks who -- IIRC -- also is in this "Meet Dave" pic.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10008830-bill/

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Is that Merchant Ivory film?

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Anyone else get desperate enough to see this yet? For a/c purposes alone, I'm considering it.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

See Hell Boy instead.

I've heard great things about it from good movie minds.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

How bad is this movie?

Well Eddie demanded that Fox throw a big LA Premiere for the movie, so they caved and literally rolled out the red carpet.

And then Eddie didn't show.

Pathetic!

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I was thinking about that last night when I saw that Raw was on Comedy Central and he was pacing the stage in that stupid outfit with the scarf and the gloves. I remember thinking, "My god, that fucking outfit was the beginning of the end."

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

You think Eddie has read any of the scripts for roles he has taken or does he have a guy that is like Turtle in Entourage who tells him they can get him free shit for this role or that role so he takes them anyway?

Draft saved Draft deleted