1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet Dave

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jul 10, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Meet Balls.

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Seems like a family flick...

...."It all seems like it's gonna end in a nice way, but in the end scene (wich have disturbing music) he cuts Claras head off and he penetrates her in her neck-hole.. this is by far the most disturbing movie i've ever seen."

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll be curious if Eddie can even get a $20-$30 million opening weekend, which for someone like him should be an absolute given.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why? What was the last decent movie he toplined (ha! there's that phrase again)?

Yeah, he was good in Dreamgirls, but he was part of an ensemble. Even boring-ass families are tired of his boring-ass family-friendly swill.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

You guys do realize Eddie Murphy is the highest grossing actor in Hollywood history — his movies have earned $3.4 billion.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Norbit made a shitload of money. I think it only cost like $20 mil to make since Eddie and Charlie wrote and co-produced it. I'm pretty sure it cleared $100 mil domestic.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not counting the Shreks, which are money in the bank, nor Dreamgirls, in which he wasn't the headliner...here's how he's fared since 2000:

Norbit: Opened with $34 mil, ended with $95 mil in 2007
    The Haunted Mansion: Opened with $24 mil, ended with $75 mil in 2003
    Daddy Day Care: Opened with $27 mil, ended with $104 mil in 2003 (summer)
    I Spy: Opened with $12 mil, ended with $33 mil
    The Adventures of Pluto Nash (snort): Opened with $2 mil, ended with $4 mil in 2002 (summer)
    Showtime: Opened with $15 mil, ended with $37 mil in 2002
    Dr. Doolittle 2: Opened with $25 mil, ended with $112 mil in 2001 (summer)
    Nutty Professor 2: Opened with $42 mil, ended with $123 mil in 2000 (summer)

I admit I'm surprised his track record for $20-$30 mil openings is as good as it is. But he's not exactly trending upward, and his summer flicks this decade have wheezed to what was once considered "blockbuster" status.

I'll still bet this opens with under $20 mil and is out of theatres in a month with less than $40 mil domestic.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

"Dreamgirls" aside, the last decent thing I saw Murphy do was "Bowfinger."

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

You couldn't pay me to see this movie. I actually cringed when I saw the trailer when I went to the movies the other day.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have never heard of this movie.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

And your point? He's fucking terrible. Norbit, The Haunted Mansion, Pluto Nash, I Spy, Daddy Daycare, Showtime...embarassingly bad recent track record. Maybe the worst string of movies for one actor in the history of cinema.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

Meet A Guy Who Was Hilarious 20 Years Ago But Has Coasted Since Raw

Draft saved Draft deleted