1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meerkat Manor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lieslntx, May 27, 2008.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Is there anyone else out there as excited as I am about the upcoming season of this show? I love, love, love this show. I cried profusely at Flower's death. I can't seem to make it through a single episode without tearing up.

Reviews of the previous seasons (including a tribute to Flower, I believe) and a behind-the-scenes episode will be showing on Animal Planet May 30, with the new season beginning June 6.

If there are any of you out there looking for something new to watch on television, this is your show.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it, but a few people I know watch it. They've been hooked on it as well.

I found myself watching "Escape to Chimp Eden" this spring. Found it pretty interesting.

3. lono

lono Active Member

My kid is totally into it. Agree about Flower. Damnit.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm holding out for Aardvark Acres myself.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

So, what, we skip all spoiler etiquette when animals are involved? Forty years ago, you'd just start up an "Old Yeller" thread and open with "Man, I couldn't believe they shot him. Best doggone dog in the West, man."

Sorry to hear of Flower's death. Hey, is that Judi Dench doing the voice on the commercial tease for the big meerkat movie? That's sure a career high mark for her ...

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Didn't think it was a spoiler. News of her death is all over the television, print and web. Did you see the episode with the snakebite???

I'm not sure who the voice in the commercial is, but I believe Stockard Channing will be narrating the new season.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, I'd say anything that happened in a previous season isn't a spoiler.

No more Sean Astin? Damn. His voice was growing on me. I love Stockard Channing though. I may watch an episode to see what I think. I don't generally watch it except when I'm sick and sleeping on the sofa.

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

What, do you sleep with your eyes open or something?

I don't blame you, with Stan prowling around and all :D

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

I may have to check this out. I love watching shows about Africa's Big 5, so I don't know if that would translate well to meerkats. But I think I'll give it a try.

Not to threadjack, but another awesome animal show is "Rogue Nature." Animal behaviorist/big cat trainer Dave Salmoni goes around the world finding examples of animals that may have gone "rogue," and he tries to scientifically decide if they indeed have.

The lion one, as you'd expect, was awesome., and the elephant edition may have been the best one. The chimp episode was just too creepy. Chimps are messed up.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yeah, come on, previous seasons are fair game. And Kristin shot J.R. Sorry to ruin it. :)

I covered the Holiday Bowl a few years ago, before this show started, and went when the teams did their trip to the San Diego Zoo. Greatest zoo in America, and I was mesmerized by the meerkats, which are in a wide-open display. Just basically an elevated mound of dirt, and they could leave at will, but they stand around guarding the dens. My absolute favorite part of the zoo.

Draft saved Draft deleted