1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medved: Happy Feet "endorsement of gay identity"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by scribebaseball, Nov 30, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's not the first time I've heard somebody talking about this movie pushing a political agenda hard, though I haven't seen it yet so it's hard to say.

Can anybody who has seen this please chime in? Is it really too intense for kids under seven? I didn't even realize it had a PG rating.

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Who gives a fuck what Michael Medved says about anything? He acts like a 75-year-old spinster and always has a look on his face like he needs to take a 25 pound shit. Fuck, if I was a director and he liked one of my movies, I would probably take up another line of work, like selling women's shoes.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

My understanding from those that have seen it; there is no "gay agenda" in the film. Medved is creating something from nothing. He's got "gay" on the brain and is looking for a way to talk about it.

4. alexg23

alexg23 Member

I took my kids (ages 5 and 7) and they had no problem with it. It is hardly terrifying--Medved must not get out much. The climax of The Little Mermaid in which the Sea Witch goes bonkers is probably scarrier (that film comes to mind because my kids just watched it last weekend). There are also scenes that are just as scary in movies like The Lion King (son watches his father trampled to death and then is menaced by hyenas), Finding Nemo (barracuda eats mom and all her kids--save Nemo, the sharks), and practically every movie I can think of that aims to be more entertaining than Barney or the Wiggles. (Curious George may be the one exception). '

Medved's gay rant is just plain crazy. I am sure a gay person looking for acceptance can identify with Mumbles, but just about anyone feeling like an outcast could too. Mumbles ends up with the girl of his dreams in the end, so he looks to be hetero all the way, not that there is anything wrong with a gay penguin. And given that so much of the film is dedicated to the penguins finding their song mate so they can procreate, it's hardly an endorsement of homosexuality. I'm sure Medved sees a gay agenda in every movie he sees, be it Die Hard or The Birdcage.

Overall, this movie was a complete surprise. From the previews it seemed like another in an endless line of animals talking with celebrity voices (Madagascar, The Wild, Over the Hedge, Open Season, etc., etc.), but it was revelation (think March of the Penguins meets Moulin Rouge in the first half and then a little bit of a Lord of the Rings-type quest, before its completely unexpected final act).

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He makes some interesting arguments and some are even thoughtful. He really pushes it to make the gay leap, though.

Still, with all the thought that went into his critique, to end with the "Crappy Feet" shot is so juvenile and pathetic is blows his whole argument out of the water.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The guy's totally out to lunch.

Norman Rockwell's dead.

Kids grow up too soon.

Anything else?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree that the Crappy Feet comment was childish and I agree that the gay agenda argument seemed a bit ridiculous. I was more curious if any of it was actually scary for a small child.

But my little one has seen Finding Nemo (about 1,000 times at home) and The Little Mermaid, so I'm sure she's ready for this one. Seems right up her alley, with lots of music and animals.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You are fairly spot on regarding the "Crappy Feet" line. But the reality is that his arguments are based on a deep desire to delve deeper into a movie and look for something he wants to find. Then, when there is a glimpse of it his response is "Ah ha! See!"

A conservative friend of mine had seen the film with his young children. I sent him the link for this this and his response was simple:
    "I thought the movie was about a penguin that can't sing like the rest of the penguins but, likes to dance instead.....hmmmmm...

I'm also fairly certain that this is the general theme of just about every story/movie made for kids period."

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He makes no points.

I'm failry sure -- without having seen it -- that this film isn't darker than, say, some stuff from the Brothers Grimm.

And as for one penguin feeling "different" and his equating that to being gay, all I can say is holy shit.

Isn't that a theme in every coming of age story? Project much, Michael?

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I always felt like the real reason Hans Gruber took over the Nakatomi Plaza was to protest the fact that Germany and America did not allow same sex marriages. Clearly Hans' brother, Karl, was gay, wanted to marry his black lover, Theo, the safe cracking expert, and Hans was performing an act of civil disobedience on behalf of his brother. Luckily a butch heterosexual like John McClane was able to thwart their plan by running around the building, sweaty, barefoot and half-naked, killing people with his bare hands and saying manly, hetero things like "yippie-ki-yey, muthafucker."

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Micheal Medved wrote a couple of lightweight movie books, "Fifty Worst
    Films of All Time" and "Golden Turkey Awards" which somehow turned him into "someone we should listen to".

He's verging on Coulter type numbers in the annoying department.

Draft saved Draft deleted