1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medical errors, death and anguish

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't know what to make of this, since the story jumps around, but a nurse committed suicide several months after giving an infant too much calcium that could have led to the child's death.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43529641/ns/health-health_care/

If I caused the death of a child, I don't know how I would cope.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know this is a nurse, but you should read Atul Gawande's book on surgery, "Complications." He has a lot in there about how doctors cope with being wrong. Basically? They deny it to themselves that it ever happens, to the point that other doctors have to stage uncomfortable interventions sometimes to drive people out of the profession or to seek help. It's a game that requires supreme, supreme confidence and little self-reflection.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

That could have come not from the nurse but from incorrect medical records which come from certified medical transcriptionists dictating doctors voice notes. The problem with this is a growing number of uncertified transcriptionists and coders are residing in India, where medical records companies can get five somewhat versed in English transcribers for the price of one in America.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

In a hospital setting?

5. printdust

printdust New Member

No, hell no. They don't do this shit in house for the most part anymore. They contract out and send it to people in office settings OR in home-based business. The companies that hire these home-based people or set up shacks in India use the profit from hiring in Bombay and go buy other accounts including those which happen to be in-house. It's a racket.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My buddy is a cardio-thoractic (sp?) surgeon and he's always been a very strong minded person (yes, close to "God-complex") and I just figure you've got to be to do what he's doing. He's saving lives while holding their life in the balance. I know I could not do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted