1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medical clearance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ODoylerules, Mar 25, 2011.

1. ODoylerules

ODoylerules New Member

So my wife started a new job at a paper the Monday before last. During her first day, she had a medical issue that forced her to spend a week in the hospital. She took this week out of work as well to get her strength back and take care of the follow-up appointment she needed.

Well, she went to her follow-up yesterday and her primary care doc wouldn't clear her to return to work. She wants my wife to see a neurologist to run the same tests she had in the hospital. When the hospital released her, they said she'd be fine, but just wanted the follow-up with the primary care doc to make sure nothing happened this week.

The primary care doc didn't see her in the hospital at all and is basically just in "Cover Your Ass" mode, telling her to see the neurologist (again) so that she's not liable if there are any issues in the future (which the hospital says there shouldn't be). Problem is, the neurologist won't see her for a month.

My wife hadn't even finished filling out her paperwork at the new job when all this happened, so what the hell is she supposed to do now? She can't get cleared to work, can't collect TDI and we can't afford for her to be out of work for a month (or, worse, to lose this job). Is there any recourse to get her back to work without the doctors say so? These docs are going to completely screw us because they're worried about a lawsuit.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Or maybe they're worried about your wife?
    If she had an issue on Day 1 that forced her to spend a week in the hospital, it must have been pretty serious. Find another neurologist.

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The best person to contact for a letter is the physician who cared fro her in the hospital. Their name and contact information should be on the discharge papers that your should have received when your wife left the hospital. Otherwise, hospital administration/medical records/omudsman should be able to get you the clearance letter your wife wants.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is she even OK to go back to work? Have the doctors determined a cause?

5. ODoylerules

ODoylerules New Member

The doctors at the hospital certainly seemed to think she was fine and not at risk for any further issues. There are medications available for her condition, but they didn't even prescribe any because they felt the issue is behind her. They wanted her to follow up with her primary care a week later (meaning late last week) just as a precaution to make sure there wasn't another problem.

But her work wanted the clearance letter and the primary care person, a nurse practitioner, basically didn't know anything about what happened other than the records the hospital sent over because she didn't provide any of the care. The hospital wouldn't let my wife talk to the doctor who cared for her and said it was the primary care doctor's responsibility to clear her (basically, the place is so busy, if you're not in the hospital, you're not getting anything from the doctors there).

My wife did find a neurologist who will see her today, so we're waiting for that appointment and keeping our fingers crossed. If he doesn't clear her, there's a distinct possibility she's going to lose the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted