1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medical billing problem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I just got a $27,000 bill from the hospital and a statement of charges from my insurance with the number of what Blue Cross is going to pay and what I owe differing from $12,000 (minus my $200 co-pay).

Gee. . . I hope they work things out because I don't have an extra 12K laying around.

2. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Insurance should change its name to legalized extortion. This happens to me pretty often. I have a high deductible/health savings account plan and the insurance company says don't pay your bill at the doctor's office since they often won't apply the insurance discount until after it's billed. That easier said than done since the doctor's office expects payment when services are performed. So, normally I'm over-charged have to call the billing service and get reimbursed. Giant pain in the ass.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Oh I got you beat. $50K for four days in the hospital last month. The hospital billed my insurance as Medicaid for some reason (I have Blue Cross). Of course, the insurance company needed pre-authorization for all procedures and denied the claim (I wasn't in a position during my stay to really check up on whether the insurance was properly notified...I was fucking sick). The hospital definitely fucked up, yet at the same time I was admitted via ER and BC still denied the ER portion of my claim even though it clearly states that ER services are covered under a $50 co-pay and do not require pre-authorization.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I called the doctor's billing office and they said I didn't owe anything. The person I talked to said that the desk person forgot to transfer my payment from the co-pay log into my account.

Oh, and no wisecracks about my car? You people disappoint me.

Draft saved Draft deleted