1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media to blame for school shootings?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Dec 18, 2012.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Posting this here because I think it's more relevant as a journalism topic than a news topic.... forgive me if it's a d_b.

Interesting article a Facebook friend of mine (who is a staunch conservative) posted, saying the media is just as much to blame as guns for tragedies like the recent one in Connecticut.
    http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424127887324907204578185263341273952.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_MIDDLETopOpinion

Last paragraph of the story....

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

By James Taranto. Also the Twitter author of this after Aurora: "I hope the girls whose boyfriends died to save them were worthy of the sacrifice." Formerly worked for the Heritage Foundation and the libertarian journal Reason Magazine.

No thanks.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good point. The media should ignore 20 dead first-graders. That's feasible.

At least the obfuscating politicians are taking real money from the NRA. What's the Wall Street Journal's excuse for tap-dancing?

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've had my fill of butt-hurt gun nuts this week, thanks.

Guns didn't kill those kids; publicly acknowledging that shootings take place killed those kids!

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Sure were a lot of Facebook shares this weekend of heart-warming tales from Friday. Yeah, the media is just awful. People hate it.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

People are hypocrits. They tell us what bastards we are while reading our copy.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm in agreement that it's our job to report what's going on.
    If the attention and notoriety gained by shooting up a classroom and then killing yourself inspires someone to shoot-up a classroom it's not the media's fault.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

How is this person working in journalism?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If these mentally unbalanced gunmen were doing it for media attention, wouldn't they would refrain from committing suicide -- as most do -- so that they could enjoy their new-found fame?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fox News is probably to blame. They spread the delusional fantasy that only if everyone carried a gun around, then there would be someone there to stop all the massacres. After all, Nancy Lanza had those guns and taught her deranged son how to use them for protection.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I think they might be talking around the fact that she was a Doomsday end timer type person. Odds she was a FNC and Glenn Beck devotee look pretty good.

12. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

What might be the issue here is releasing the killer's names. Many people want those killers to remain nameless. Reason being that by naming them, they become famous in a way. Everyone in the country will know who they are, if only for a brief moment.

Name the children. Be gracious to the families. Don't name the killer...

Just my two cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted