1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media posing for pictures with Heat players?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shallow_gal, Sep 28, 2010.

1. writingump

writingump Member

How many different ways can you say unprofessional?

2. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

Unfortunately, this happens all the time, especially with younger people. I have a few friends that cover the Magic and saw multiple pictures of them w/players on Facebook following this week's media day. It's not like they're working for major outlets, but they're still credentialed for the event and take the photos anyway.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that posing with athletes is just wrong.

But what if you were a horse racing writer and posed for a photo with Zenyatta?

Would that be OK? I'd do it.

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I wouldn't pose with a horse; it's the same set of problems as posing with an athlete or even just posing with a statue or other fan-like activities. Of course, I'm not lucky enough to cover horse racing so it's irrelevant. Darn you Chuck Dybdal!

5. Sports_Scribe

Sports_Scribe Member

It's in the article. Don't worry: I got caught up on that too.

Now, any local and national reporters posing with players is wrong. However, if they were ESPN reporters, I can understand. ::)

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Mizzou is right. The threshold for that kind of crap is a lot lower for the broadcast folks.

Still wrong, but it does change the expectations. That was my point. I wouldn't be shocked if I heard it was TV or radio folks posing. But if it was print or Internet people, they have serious 'splainin' to do. Ridicule should be the least of their worries.

Saw something just today where a reporter was asking a player he covers to "follow" him on Twitter. Huh? Everyone needs to take a big step backward and remember who they're representing and why they're present in the first place.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How about any of them have some serious explaining to do? How about it hurts everyone's credibility, whether they work in broadcast or print? It's a blemish no matter what their medium is. Just because you think print guys sit on a higher throne doesn't make it so.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A picture of them asking questions, or taking notes, to the player or players works just as well.

9. New toys

New toys New Member

I am one of the media members in question. I don't see what the big deal is. I got a picture with three of the biggest stars in the NBA - jealous?

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ygbfkm

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Yes. Which one are you?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted