1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media portals and FTP sites

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The AP threadjack on the Toledo Blade thread got me thinking about something I've been meaning to post for a while now. With more and more pro teams and conferences making pool photos widely available for use because of the pandemic, and AP being a shell of its former self from even a couple of years ago, I figured it might be a good idea to share some of the various media portals and team FTP sites as a community resource.
    All of them require passwords, so I assume the web sites themselves are OK to share and not akin to revealing a deep, dark industry secret?

Here is the one for the Southeastern Conference:

SEC Media Portal

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Heh. If you want to get comics, puzzles and weather graphics for about 29 newspapers --- or just have to have your daily dose of Gil Thorp --- I have that stuff.

BTW, user name "itjustmeansmore" and password "itjustmeansmore" did not work for SEC. :(

maumann and justgladtobehere like this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Passwords or GTFO.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And just to be clear, I'm not asking for passwords or whatever the journalism equivalent of a bit torrent site would be. I'm looking for official media sites sanctioned by the teams or leagues (or even governmental entities) where they post releases, photos, etc., in one spot, where you can register on your own.
    Assuming it's kosher to post them, I think a list of these -- or even a link to a list; surely one exists somewhere -- could be a very valuable resource for a lot of people.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

This post reminded me of Greg Fitzsimmons and Mike Gibbons podcast, 'Sunday Papers.' At the end of the podcast, they go through the comics and mock them. The casual domestic violence of Andy Capp, the stupidity of Family Circus, and Dagwood's failure to appreciate Blondie are weekly topics.

Blondie is really hot.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

NFL Communications: Home (no longer NFLmedia.com).

Anybody else remember standing at the newsroom fax machine with its handset to your ear, patiently dialing up the faxback service and punching in four-digit codes to get press releases, game notes and stat packages? (Notice I didn’t ask if anybody is nostalgic for those days.)

Dog8Cats and HanSenSE like this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hotter than Nancy, that's for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted