1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media members angry about Steph Curry bringing his daughter to press conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, May 20, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Alma already said he'd be able to write the shit out of a story like that.

He's just worried about the schlubs who don't have those mad skillz.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The interviewee is the subject. He or she can do what she wants. Act like an asshole? Fine, I'll write that. Do something charming if off topic? I can write that too. Anybody who can't cope with that basic dynamic is in the wrong business.

Doc Holliday and JackReacher like this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

From SF Chron's Ann Killion:

How Riley Curry became a national sensation - San Francisco Chronicle

And that’s where I found Ayesha Curry — with Riley on her lap — after Tuesday night’s game. Stephen Curry’s adorable young family was waiting for him in the hallway outside the locker room, sitting on the cold floor. Ayesha, who is expecting another child, looked tired but happy. Riley was restless.

“So this is the glamorous NBA lifestyle, huh?” I asked Mrs. Curry, who laughed and smiled.

“Yeah, right? Not so glamorous sometimes,” she answered. Shortly after, a Warriors staffer rushed over and got her a chair.

Inside, Stephen Curry was trying to grab a quick bite to eat before doing his obligatory media session. A PR man approached the NBA’s MVP and delivered a message: “Your daughter is getting antsy out there. She wants to see you.” Curry nodded and ducked in for some food.

A few minutes later, he emerged and reunited with his daughter. She wanted to be with her daddy, so he took his daughter to work.

“I was walking past the family room, my wife and daughter were sitting there in the hallway,” said Stephen Curry on Wednesday, after Riley had become a national social media sensation. “I think (Ayesha) had asked Riley if she wanted to go with me and Riley had told her, ‘Yes.’ I was like, ‘I’ll just go do it real quick.’ (But) Riley gave me the look, like, ‘I’m going with you.’ She wasn’t taking no for an answer at that point.”

I mean, clearly, the only professional thing to do would have been for Curry to leave his daughter throwing a tantrum in the hallway for his pregnant wife to deal with. Instead, he decided to be a jerk and take the girl with him.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Who didn't cope with it? Everybody coped with it. And we've all dealt - like pros - with assholes.

I wrote that it's irritating and unprofessional, and it is. Human emotions.

This is common on message boards. We take written words as proxy for actions we'd actually take. I'm not storming out of the presser or making some snit with the team's flak. What's interesting to me is that, apparently, journalists shouldn't even think it's irritating. It should be a lark!

Journalists make a living of life not revolving around them. Unless you work at Grantland, Fox News or MSNBC and you're paid to gaze at your own navel lint, a journalist doesn't make a career out of flipping his or her shit over much of anything, except access. So this isn't about some great new wave of whiny journalists. It doesn't happen. They don't exist. On the contrary: Journalists today are all too happy to slurp whatever's given to them and, more importantly, think it's good because PR says so.

joe_schmoe likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If you're interviewing the soldier about coming home, then I'd think his kids are a rather big part of the matter.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I read the Killion piece, came to the line about PR and thought ah, there's the PR I know and love.

At any rate, I've either made my point or I didn't. As uncomfortable a reality as it may be, Skip Bayless and Charles Barkley are celebrities in their own right and thus afforded the opportunity to say exactly what they think. I disagree with both of them often, but they have no fear of reprisal for telling the truth. Beat writers profit not one bit, in this social media age, for having an opinion that runs counter a celebrity's actions.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

One last thing...this statement, based on this thread alone, is completely inaccurate. Most of the people on here - whether they were or weren't journalists, I don't know - think I'm dead wrong.

So it's not a group of people complaining. To be fair to them, it's mostly me. If I'm the fool, so be it, but you can't have it both ways.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Can we get one more analogy before you sign off please. I particularly enjoyed the boardroom one.

When did a press conference become YOUR workplace and not the athletes?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I hope Curry brings out a whole boys and girls club next time.

EddieM likes this.
  10. Can't we all agree to just get the fuck over ourselves and be done with it?

11. EddieM

EddieM Member

Feel free to fall on the sword if you like, but you weren't the only one voicing displeasure. On this thread or beyond it.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He's saving that for next free agency presser.

Draft saved Draft deleted