1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media members angry about Steph Curry bringing his daughter to press conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, May 20, 2015.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This is sportsjournalists.com. Of course she's a 6.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No, you don't.

You need to have your questions answered (if you had any beforehand), and you need any insight the athlete or coach may be able to provide via the news conference. If their answers do not yield any insight, there is no obligation nor need to run the quotes. "Lame" quotes make for a "lame" story. Better to simply report what you see than go down that road.

It's just done out of habit. A tired, worn-out habit.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

@richarddeitsch Who is the most influential NBA media member? Should kids be on a podium after NBA games? An NBA panel answers all: http://t.co/7jwwA2Peaw

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Pretty sensible answers to the question at hand.

6. Time for Skip Bayless to receive the Prince Rogers Nelson Get Over Yourself Award.

7. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

I find it hard to get worked up one way or the other about a kid being at a league-mandated press conference in a limited access media room with a PR guy coordinating a Q&A session before distributing quote sheets and final stats.

None of us peons covering preps get any of that. Also, we have to find the nearest McDonald’s to file from after the game.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Some of preps guys (me) deal with coaches' kids hanging around daddy after a game all the time. In fact, that probably happened to me six or seven times last football season. The kids all think it's great fun to run around the field and scream.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Seems most of the people complaining are childless while the people saying it's no big deal are people who have kids and realize it's no big deal.
    I used to bring my kid to cover prep games when she was 2 and it was no big deal. Any reporter at that presser who's taken care of their own kids didn't care because you learn to block them out. Curry didn't let her be a distraction. He spoke over her, answered questions the way he normally would.
    So what's the big deal? Because she interrupted him? Like teammates do when there's two of them up there?
    Anyone who's screaming about unprofessionalism or distraction needs to get out of the business. Journalism is all about dealing with distractions.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted