1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media member sells Kyle Rudolph's gloves on eBay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Jan 8, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

It wasn't for rankings, it was for recruiting. The bigger and glossier, the better to impress the moms and dads. Yes, the spiral bound were better for the writers. Most schools did both, the spiral for the writers and the bound for recruits, they better survived being mailed.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Spiral was best, unless it snagged something and got screwy.

RonClements likes this.
  3. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

I wish I knew about this site back in '07.

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Yes, I always appreciated the spiral ones for that reason.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Always liked the spiral ones as well.
    And I still enjoy printed media guides. They're so much easier to find what I'm usually looking for, which is year-by-year results to figure out the last time Team A won at Team B or somesuch.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

[sport]-reference.com is a pretty good substitute.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They're great for pro sports, but are limited for college. I think their college basketball stuff for the smaller D-I schools only goes back to the late 1970s in some cases.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yes, plus guidelines on how and where color photos could be used, ect. My first stop, in the 80s, had a couple of kids playing football at Nebraska and I seem to remember some secretaries getting 4-5 graf bios.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Good Tebow, what a thread. Not only BYH's rewrite of a press release, but what appears to be classic boots.

Microfilm: One stop had the machine in the lobby to make it easier for the general public to look things up. Unfortunately, for some reason people would pocket a roll every now and then. We had no record of World War I papers, for example.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

July 8, 2007, from the pen-knife of BYH ...

Ahem.

Legendar(ily bad) journalist joins ranks (skanks) of The Sports Network

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network is not really in Philly, it's in a suburb) - The Sports Network (not the good one in Canada) has announced an exclusive relationship (yeah because legitimate people are knocking down the door to work with you) with one of the legendary names in sports journalism, Norman Maclean. (it's MacLean. Good job) Mr. Maclean, a veteran of 52 (5200) years as a journalist (yeah right, he was a blogger before computers were invented), television commentator (he watches TV and comments on it, that counts right?), editor of national publications (Bill Shannon let him edit the Who's Who In Baseball once. Once) and author of 33 hard and soft cover books on sports (OK, this will not be difficult at all to disprove), is going to be devoting his experience (at stealing newspapers and eating food) and (minimal) knowledge of sports to a regular feature column (the kids call it a featumn...it's not a feature, it's not a column, but you get a good meal) on TSN's widely regarded (as complete shit) Internet site, www.sportsnetwork.com, as well as across its international wire service (international wire service these days meaning shitty).

"Stormin' With Norman" (what the fuck is this, 1991??) is expected to be one of our most read offerings (high praise, that, since we get three hits a day) and early returns are that expectations will be justified (in other news, Gore is President!)," stated Phil Sokol, Director of Operations (and everything else) for The Sports Network. "Norm brings a wealth of expertise (at sucking) and (absolutely no) insight to our content, both on the Internet site as well as across our wire service (neither of which anybody reads). He is, and has been, (a complete mooch) a scout for pro and amateur teams (just because you watch games does not make you a scout), nine different NHL ones among them (scouting one game nine times for the California Golden Seals explains a lot), and he is the co-founder and commissioner of the Metropolitan Junior Hockey Association (that's great, no one has ever heard of it). Further," continued Mr. Sokol, (what the fuck is this, two quotes in one graph? fuck hiring Norm, find an editor) 'he is the managing editor and columnist for Sports Press Service (and the last time you read anything by Norm on the Sports Press Service was 1872) and has covered (covered is such a loose term, plus, it sounds better than mooched free food at) the last 50 Stanley Cup Finals (cargo flights!), 10 Winter Olympics (cargo flights!), 52 World Series (hey Keith Foulke do do do you like hockey?) and 34 Super Bowls (that's XXXIV Super Bowls to you Norm). He will be writing about the NHL, NBA and general sports business (what are three things Norm has no idea about).

"While we at The Sports Network have a full editorial staff for every major sport (i.e. one guy working real cheap on every sport) and over 30 contributing writers (we count staff members as contributing writers) at our corporate headquarters (which are run by a felon) with a plethora (nice word here meaning NONE) of others around the world, it is always nice to have a contributor of the calibre (caliber, you fuckhead) of Norman Maclean join our ranks (yes he's a perfect fit for your fradulent. We are privileged to add his commentary to our already award winning offerings (being named the worst sports website 12 years running does not count). People like Norm, (give the rest of the business a bad name)" concluded Mr. Sokol, "have a perspective on sports on a realistic approach that is a sought after commodity in a seeming journalistic world of sameness on many levels (what in the holy fuck was that?)."

About The Sports Network

The Sports Network is the nation's foremost international real-time sports wire service (have you ever heard of THE ASSOCIATED PRESS) furnishing a plethora (buy a fucking thesaurus) of content (shit) on a 24/7 basis using state-of-the-art technology (our modem is 28K!). This data (does not) includes, but is not limited to, scores, trends, analysis, news, features, statistics, pre and post-game reports, box scores, historical data, Las Vegas odds updates, and very much more. Among its clients are Fox Sports National/Regional, Cox Interactive, Tribune Media, Knight-Ridder, Lexis*Nexis, Comtex, Yellow Brix, Screaming Media, Mutual Broadcasting, CanWest Interactive (Canada), Bloomberg Financial, Comcast, Dallas Morning News, New York Times/Post & Daily News, Houston Chronicle, Denver Post, Sunshine Network, Learfield Communications, Media News, Media General and hundreds more (don't let this fool you, when was the last time you read anything by The Sports Network?)

www.sportsnetwork.com is one of the most accessed web sites on the Internet (18,126 on Alexa, ooooo) and TSN currently brands sports pages for sites numbering in excess of 500 while furnishing satellite transmitted data and online transmission to a host of organizations domestically and internationally (blah blah blah I'm tired).

Maureen Galeone
    The Sports Network
    email: Maureen@sportsnetwork.com
    phone: +1 215 441 8444

(call me with job offers, please)

matt_garth and Batman like this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Journalists do good by doing good journalism.

And journalists are welcome to participate in whatever charity they like - off the clock.

The trouble starts when journalists leverage access or trade favors with the people and institutions they cover, even in service of a "good" cause.

Joe Williams and sgreenwell like this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I kind of disagree on this one, too.

There are a number of broadcast journalists who have foundations or charities, and obviously it is because they have fame from being on TV, and fame gives someone the recognition to raise money for a cause, if they choose. I just don't see what is wrong with that.

In my opinion, "too many conflicts of interest possible," shouldn't be enough for anyone to feel that it precludes them from that. For me, the standard would be "reasonable appearance of conflict of interest."

And even there, an appearance of a conflict of interest only matters if viewers (or readers, if it is a print journalist) care and they start questioning your objectivity. So you lose their trust. Why not just have a foundation or a charity if you feel it is a worthwhile way to leverage your fame, and then publicly divulge information about what it does and who is funding it and let people decide for themselves whether it matters?

SoloFlyer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted