1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media member sells Kyle Rudolph's gloves on eBay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Jan 8, 2020.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm trying to picture that. Maybe you're covering the game and pick up ONE piece to tuck into your notebook (isn't the confetti shaped like the Lombardi Trophy?), but being on your hands and knees vacuuming the ground might look a little odd.

Tweener likes this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ya blame them? They probably make more at it.

Tweener likes this.
  3. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

Isn't there a radio guy in Chicago who is notorious for taking other media members' media guides? If I remember right, I've seen a lot of media people say they keep their guides in their bags just because they know he'll swipe them.
    Also, I saw a photographer at one of the bowl games I covered last year walk over to a stack of about 20 programs in the press box and grab all of them.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

This should be pretty easy to find. It has to be someone who was credentialed for the Super Bowl LIII, last week's Vikings-Saints game and the 2018 MLB All-Star Game.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If this is your person, what is your disciplinary action? Dismissal? That would be mine. Is there another option? Once exposed, the person isn't likely to get credentialed anywhere.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Deadspin woulda had it by now.

garrow, Tweener, MeanGreenATO and 3 others like this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't see how there is any other option. Merely asking for the gloves is a cardinal sin. Turning around and selling them is like pissing on the back wall of the Vatican.

wicked and Tweener like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Stories like this are one of the reasons to be scrupulous about never taking swag.

Never.

Having said that, the only disciplinary option for the employer has to be dismissal.

And if I were the Vikings, I'd also revoke the credentials for that organization - for some length of time. As is usually specified on the credential itself.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Am I nuts for thinking it is a pretty big organization given the scope of the events? How many places go to the events listed in the post above?

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think its sketchy for any journalist to ask for any contribution from a source for a charity. Particularly on the job. Yet, I know many big name journos have personal charities - or charities they have a connection to - and have no problem soliciting and or/accepting donations from people they report on. And we're talking legit charities that do great things - the problem is when you report something harsh - or don't - on someone who has agreed to appear at a fundraising event.

Tweener likes this.
  11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

A wild guess but I would think it would have to be a columnist. I don't think that a beat writer would travel to a the MLB All-Star game and a Super Bowl.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Fired.

Draft saved Draft deleted