1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media guides on CD....ALL media guides

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flip Wilson, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

In the pressbox on Saturday a guy from, I assume, collegepressbox.com, came around handing out CDs. The label on the CD says: 2009 NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision Media Guides. 120 school guides, 11 conference guides, 3 NCAA publications.

I thought this was pretty cool until the guy in the next seat showed me the thumb drive/portable drive thingy the NFL gave him with every team guide as well as the league guides on it.

Either way, both of these things are pretty handy. Any of y'all get those this weekend?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

FWAA sent the CDs to all of its members. Got mine last week.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I got the I-AA CD last week. Pretty sharp.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

NHL has done this the last two years, NASCAR for several. Easy to access, saves trees and the achin backs of sportswriters.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's handy to have all that information in one space and I get the green aspect of it, too, as well as the expense.

But it's nice to have a hard copy of the guide for the team you cover.

I had very limited experience with the online/disc guide thing, and it is a major pain in the ass to be scrolling through pages and jumping between screens on deadline.

6. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

How is jumping screens worse than thumbing through pages? If it's in the right format (I would think PDF would be used) then it should be easy enough to just do a search for whatever you're looking for.

Whenever I get a media guide, I usually make a point to go DL it from that team's website, if available. I've always found the electronic copies easier to deal with.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have the NFL guide. Even room on that thing for personal documents, stories, etc.
    Would love to get one of the college ones.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

It's a lot simpler to have a hard copy of the book than the CD, though the CD is a nice touch.

If I need to look up what happened when the university played Fresno State in 2002, I can reach over to the bookcase to my right, grab the guide, thumb to page 148 and then get my answer in probably about 12 seconds. With the guides on CD, I'd put it in, wait for it to load up on the computer, select the conference, select the book, wait for that PDF to open and load and then scroll down to that page in probably about 45 seconds.

Is it a big deal? Well, no. But it's more convenient, to me, to have the book.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'd rather have a hard copy, preferably with a spiral spine instead of a glued binder.

But the thumb drives and CDs are nice.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I can find what I need in the book and have that open page alongside the keyboard. Infinitely easier, and I speak from experience.

Might not be a big issue when you're writing a feature on Wednesday afternoon, but it is on deadline.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you're looking up a specific game vs. an opponent over three years, it's a whole lot easier having three books open on your desk.

12. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Hmm...I happen to feel the exact opposite...oh well :p

Draft saved Draft deleted