1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media guide storage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 9, 2010.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I know we have discussed this before, but anybody got any bright ideas for dealing with media guide clutter?

I have gone through and tossed all duplicate guides, but is there a smart way to store whats left? Bookshelf just accumulates dust. Box by year, by sport or school?

We'll keep copies of "our" schools forever, I guess, but it seems to me we could triage down to the last 3 years, and keep at least one coyp of each football guide from the SEC teams before the page limits came into effect, just for the additional historical material.

And the question I'm really puzzling about: When you have a choice of keeping a guide that's traditionally stitched or the wirebound version, which is more likely to last longer?

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Just don't do what AnnArbor.com did with The Ann Arbor News' guides: Throw them all away.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

as soon as you throw one away, it's the one you'll need for some obscure factoid.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And when everyone's guide is on CD in a few years, they could become valuable collector's items!

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

7. bob

bob Member

I've been saving media guides for years with the intent of selling them on E-Bay. Now that I'm ready to start clearing out some space, I've found that there's virtually no market for most guides.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The Rocky Mountain News did the same thing.

9. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

We threw away over 100 media guides last month. I just decided I could get any information in there online if I tried hard enough. I kept some Big U and the NFL team guides, but there are about 10 total left out of over 100.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Still looking for advice on which copy of any particular guide to keep – the wire-bound or the traditional glue-bound copy.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I always preferred the wire-bound ones because you could lay them flat while referring to them while typing. Also, the glue-bound ones tend to break down over time. I've got some from the early 80s that are little more than loose-leaf pamphlets at this point ...

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

wire-bound. better for the long haul.

Draft saved Draft deleted