1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media gifts and where to draw the line

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheWhiskeyDiaries, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm guessing most reporters keep the goodie bags, though, right?

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Probably, but they shouldn't. And I'm guessing their paper's ethics policies outline that.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Then how do you explain everytime someone comes back from some event, they're carrying/wearing something with the logo on it? Bought it all at the souveneir stand?

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Just because people keep the stuff doesn't make it right. Again, read a newspaper ethics policy.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Is accepting a 64-ounce bottle of beer crossing a line? I ask tongue-in-cheek because, well, who turns down a 64-ounce bottle of beer?

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, there would be no evidence. :)

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I hate to break this to everyone, but what you do does not involve national security, holding other people's money, taking care of other people's kids, or being paid by the taxpayer. You're not in a special position of authority over anyone. You hold no high office. You are not elected.

What you DO is market sports for your own pecuniary gain. You are a simple cog in a massive marketing machine. You schil for a living. And you are poorly compensated for it. There is no honor in declining a travel bag, or whatever, out of some twisted personal ethical standard. The moment you walk through those gates without having purchased a ticket you are compromised. You eat the food, you drink the drink, you accept the access.

Follow company policy? Sure. Personal moral opposition? Have at it. But don't tsk tsk others who simply participate in the marketing function more fully than you do. There's no added honor in it whatsoever.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I assume this happened in Madison.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We had a big national event in our backyard a few years ago, and I bought several things at the gift stand (after it was over the the merchandise was half price).

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Nobody is tsk-tsking anyone, but the fact that you don't think ethics are important says a lot about you. Our company policy also does not allow us to have food/drinks without paying for it, and my paper pays a lump sum at the start of the season to many of the local teams to avoid the issue. I don't think a coffee mug or something small is that big of a deal in the grand scheme, but if we're talking a gift bag from some of these bowls with numerous items? I wouldn't take it. But I would not begrudge anyone who did. I have my standards and conscience and they have theirs.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You need to go cover Google events. The goodie bags would make a writer covering a bowl game blush.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I've been on the PR end when a company tries to pull the lump sum payment thing and it is a crock. You're not paying for your parking pass, not paying to get in, not paying for your box seat, power supply, lineups, air conditioning, player access, etc. and in the circumstance I saw the amount the company gave for food & drink was a paltry sum.

Draft saved Draft deleted