1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media General newspaper properties sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cosmo, May 17, 2012.

1. This is encouraging ...
    Buffett's letter to editors and publishers of the recently purchased papers.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120524/NEWS/305249922

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Dear Mr. Buffett - Could you please buy our JRC paper? Pretty please?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I haven't laid out a page in six years, and I'm on a career path that gives me a chance to make a great living. But that makes me want to pull a desk shift tomorrow.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

It always sounds good in the beginning but there will be changes. Some heads will be rolling.

5. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

The sale is complete, according to today's news release. The real news is in the second graf:

Media General is also in discussions with prospective buyers for its Tampa, Florida, print properties and associated websites.

I interpret this to mean TBO.com will stay with the Tampa Tribune and not as part of WFLA-TV, as was speculated. It'll be interesting to see if the broadcast partnership will remain after the sale. Also will be interesting to see if Media General makes the newspaper/web people move back to the 40-year-old building next door (with the advertising and circulation folks) or whether they can stay in the modern building that was designed for converged journalists.

Complete news release here: http://mediageneral.com/press/2012/june25_12.html

Draft saved Draft deleted