1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media General newspaper properties sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cosmo, May 17, 2012.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

To Berkshire Hathaway:

The release:

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A 10.5 percent loan? I guess they're selling Tampa to the title pawn place.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sorry, forgot to mention that Tampa was not part of the sale. I wonder if Halifax will try to go after the Tribune.

As an MG newspaper employee, I'm cautiously optimistic about this turn of events.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Seems to me like non-Tampa people might be OK, and Tampa people are fucked.

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Considering some of the copy desk/design for a lot of the papers originates in Tampa, this is an interesting development.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Tampa people better be prepared to tell their new bosses to take their non-competes and shove it up their asses.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'd say it's over for the Tampa Tribune. I don't see that paper publishing in 2013.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Or its satellites surrounding Tampa, like Hernando and Highlands. They're toast.

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

I wonder what this means for the consolidated design center for MG's big papers ... Tampa was producing sections for both Richmond and Winston-Salem (Richmond was doing the rest) ... I can't see the new owners keeping a CDC in Richmond just to do two papers ...

10. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Halifax is still keenly interested in having Tampa as part of its Florida empire, which includes Daytona Beach, Gainesville, Ocala, Lakeland and Sarasota.

But here's the optimistic conspiracy theory: MG keeps Tampa until August, when it gets a nice chunk of revenue from the GOP convention, and THEN sells to Berkshire.

Now for the flip side: Warren Buffett likes local papers, especially in communities where they're the main source for news, which means the Tribune's competition with the Tampa Bay (nee St. Petersburg) Times might mean it's a nonplayer for Berkshire.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I would love to be optimistic about this, but Warren's up there. How much longer will he run the company? He's still calling the shots, even though they nominally announced a succession plan a few years back.

12. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Any day you go from being run by Marshall Morton to being run by Warren Buffett is a good fucking day.

Draft saved Draft deleted