1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media General goes to furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

No, I've never worked in a sports department in March. Don't know anything about it.
    Moderator I, at some point, common sense kick in. The days of working long for comp time off are done and have been for quite a while.
    It's obvious that the rules have changed and the higher ups have to know that there will be areas left uncovered. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt to say they aren't that clueless.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Drip,

March tends to be a busy time of the year because it's when many basketball/hockey/wrestling tournaments are held to decide the championships in high school and college. Plus you have spring training baseball in addition to golf and tennis and other things, depending on one's market.

But, senior management doesn't give a rat's tail about that. The sports calendar means little to them.

It's like management wants stuff done, but doesn't want to pay for it.

That would be like me wanting to get my transmission fixed, but, oh, I really can't afford to pay for it. Sheesh!

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Drip, you show a lot of ignorance with that statement.
    I was told at least 100 times: Staffing issues are no excuse. And that's when things were a shitload better than they are now.
    I think the fact that I worked as a manager there, fairly recently, gives me a little "cred" on this argument. You post stuff like that and it makes everyone wonder if you have worked in a sports department in March.
    Common sense is like common courtesy. It isn't very common. Read the line on the previous page about furloughs managed to minimize disruption. That's what they expect. They do not in any way realize it is impossible to do that in a sports department in March.

Take the guy who covers us, for example. We're in first place with three games to go, so the rest of the regular season is key. Then comes the CAA tournament in our home town. Then comes postseason of some sort. Then, perhaps comes a coach search. We sure as hell hope not but it is a possibility and even that possibility will merit some coverage.
    Then March is over.
    When does he take four days? There's no one else to fill in for him.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I will let your ignorance remark slide. It's too early in the morning to trade barbs.
    You know I've been through many March months. I know how difficult it is on several fronts.
    The bottom line is that they set a mandate. If you can't cover something because you are short handed, that is just the way it is. While you are concerned, it's not your fault. Worry about the things you can control. Complain all you want but this furlough thing is something you can't control if you're a manager.

5. Moderator1

OK, Drip. You know all.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You're as pointless as a sphere.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Again another smart remark for no reason. Sheesh.
    No, I don't all but I do know its not worth ruining my health worrying about something I can't control.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

If I'm as pointless as you say Simon, what would you do in the same situation? You sound as if you have a solution. I'd love to hear it.

9. Moderator1

Christ. Where is jmac's list when I need it?

Drip, you are being obstinate just to be that way. You love to start shit and then act all innocent. So just stop, OK?

OF COURSE IN AN IDEAL WORLD IT WORKS THE WAY YOU DESCRIBE. No one disputes that. My point - as one who has managed there very recently - is it is NOT an ideal world. Those people are scared for their jobs. No matter how hard they work, and they work hard, it isn't enough. They do not want to leave things uncovered. They care. They have pride. It's easy to puff out your chest here, as someone did earlier, and say oh fuck no, no way, no fucking way I'm working. It's tougher to do when you're actually faced with the situation.
    My simple little point that you want to go on one of your drip-drabs about is that managers must stand up and make sure their folks are protected. That, too, is easier said than done. The managers I know there will find a way because they care about their folks.

Now, please, go find another thread on which to spread your wisdom.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes, you made a very simple point and too full of yourself. Get a grip, please.
    No one is starting anything on this thread.
    It's a very scary time. I feel for the people who are at Media General.
    Moddy, you do what you have to do to preserve your job, even if it means swallowing your pride.
    Now if you want to respond without any insults, it would be great. If not, that will be great too.
    In my opinion, you tried to generate a debate with me when all I did was agree with what you are saying.

11. Moderator1

Searching for *** searching for *** I have it somewhere.
    OK, I still have a job for now and I better get to it. I'd say this has been fun but it hasn't.
    The rest of you take care of my light work for me, OK?

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Your ignorant spew is much more of an insult than any string of words that has been tossed back at you.

You seem like a 13-year-old.

Draft saved Draft deleted