1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media General goes to furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Several weeks ago, a select handful of people in our office - now that I think about it, the common denominators were editors and people who could plausibly be desk people, lilke me - were asked to send along an hour-by-hour breakdown of our week. Our EE was very apologetic in her e-mail, but said the information was being requested by 'corporate consultants' in Richmond.

So what was I supposed to do? Lie? That was the week after the AFC/NFC title game. I had started working on our Super Bowl page, which included putting together a large graphic (I made a postcard-type thing). I know enough about Photoshop to accomplish such a thing, though there may have been a quicker way than what I did. So, for Tuesday, I put down "8 hours - Super Bowl graphic".

Obviously it doesn't take a whole lot of foresight to see what they're getting at, though clearly I have a fatalistic streak in me too. "Why do you need to put that much time into a Super Bowl page, let alone a graphic? You're a community paper. Oh, and drop your office key off at HR at the end of the day, and thanks for your contributions."

I have a hard time believing that this will be the end. So I'm fully bracing for the fact that I'll be looking elsewhere before long.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Consultants... the C-word...

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Now this is the bullshit. When I take my furlough day, I plan on getting so thoroughly bent that I can't be a productive member of society. Hey, I'm not allowed to work, right?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do phones actually work on furlough day?

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I know if I'm ever put on furlough that my phone certainly won't receive any calls from work.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You two have never been fired.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm taking a 365-day furlough this year.... and collecting unemployment comp, thank you. With each one of these sort of threads, the chances that I will never return to this shit-hole of an industry keep climbing.

I can't help but wonder, however, just what kind of shape these companies are in. Are they actually LOSING money or just not making as much as they were accustomed to a few years back?

Either way, the way they are being managed leaves me little or no incentive to look for a job in the industry again. You cut travel, cut newshole, cut working staff and hours. Why on earth would any sane person want to work for you? At this rate, you're going to be below Taco Hell on the food chain.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Chatted last night with several folks at a certain MG paper I know pretty well. Got conflicting reports on what happens to the managers.
    One person told me they get a flat five percent cut. Pay is reduced but they keep on working.
    Another told me they have to take the days just like everyone else.
    Not sure which version is correct. I know lots of folks are real unhappy with the timing given, you know, tournaments and such. Some told me they figure they'll work right through their tournaments and just not get paid.

A manager HAS to stand up for his people in times like this. You WILL take the days and you WILL NOT work. If we miss something, we miss something. You can't let them run roughshod over your folks. The few managers I still know there will, I'm sure, take this approach. No way I'm telling a guy his "furlough" means cover a tournament for free.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

It appears to me there isn't much for a manager to stand up for. The line has been defined. Why would a manager have to "stand up" for his folks?

10. Moderator1

Because, Drip, shit has to be covered. You ever worked in a sports department in March? I know the higher-ups there pretty well. They'd say, "Why wasn't this covered?" The easy thing for writers and managers to do is just go ahead and cover the damn thing. I've had several writers there tell me they expect to be working for free. Their mindset is they'll look like good company folks and maybe that will save them when the inevitable comes. Because it IS coming when the money from this band-aid disappears.

You can't let your people do that. They aren't getting paid.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Fuck that!! If you're going to FORCE your loyal employees to take furloughs at a certain time of year, then NO, the shit DOES NOT have to be covered.

Let the bastards field 1,000 phone calls from irate readers and then maybe they'll finally rethink their furloughs. Some people just have to learn the hard way.

I'll be damned if I'm working for these nutcases during my unpaid furlough.

If I'm an editor and I'm asked why something wasn't covered, I just hand them a copy of their damn furlough notice.

12. Moderator1

You are right, 100 percent. That's why I say the managers have to stand firm for their people.
    I also know those same managers are the one's who are going to get the phone calls and letters and have to deal with them. Just the way it works.

Draft saved Draft deleted