1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media days

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cosmo, May 13, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Any word on cutbacks for upcoming conference football media days? We cover two leagues -- the ACC and the Big South. The ACC has moved its media days from Tampa to Greensboro to cut down on costs, but they'll still do the usual golf outing. The Big South has eliminated the golf outing because of costs, which means we'll only go down for one day now. That's fine. The golf was fun, but really served little purpose professionally.

Any other leagues cutting down to try to save some scratch?

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I guess the parallel question is how many papers that used to staff these events won't be this summer. I'm not sure how mine will handle it ...

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We did basketball last year as a down and back. I haven't been allowed to stay overnight for anything since football season, the exception being when I crashed at a friend's place for a conference basketball trip.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Good move by the ACC to move their thing to Greensboro. I can't imagine anybody would have gone to Tampa.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Are there three more pointless words strung together than "Big South football"?

6. John

John Well-Known Member

The Southern Conference canceled its media days a few months ago. It's also doing away with media guides.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Golf outing? Christ almighty.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Southeastern Conference football? :D

9. John

John Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

In your area? Yes. Our readers care about it.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

"Big Ten teams in bowls."

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think the CAA is still doing their day at ESPN Zone in Baltimore in July.

Draft saved Draft deleted