1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media days dying soon?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True.

Well, it is driveable for most media in the region, so that's a place. And the fact there isn't a hell of a lot of other stimulating stuff to cover here in the dog days of July. I remember years ago when working in the south, one of the guys on our staff had this countdown he started in mid-June to the start of two-a-days.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's just horrible there's that much interest in something where some of us can (still) sell some dang newspapers.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

As the Governator would say, "It's not a Hoovah!"

Not a bad day 1 here in Birmingham. Most of the coaches except Petrino — who has no soul — brought teh funny with them.

Funniest question of the day: "Coach (Bobby Johnson), obviously you're going to have a stacked defense..." I thought of spnited during that fanboi moment.

Funniest question of the day, part 2: "Coach (Rich Brooks), obviously your offensive skill guys were a concern last year..."
    Brooks: "Oh, you noticed that, did you?"

4. WS

WS Member

Haven't been since '04, but watched Arkansas and Vandy and a little MSU on ESPNU.

Johnson still cracks me up, though most people don't catch his dry humor.

"So, what do you think about Florida, ..."

Johnson: "I think they've got a chance to be pretty good." (ya think?)

then interrupts the next reporter asking a question to clarify his statement

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Now THIS is stellar copy, the kind you just can't get anyplace else.

6. Hammer Pants

Bobby's dry humor was excellent as usual today.

7. Hammer Pants

His quick Rodney Dangerfield impersonation was nice, too.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Seriously?

How many of those 900+ actually work for newspapers? And how many are there just to walk around and, well, do nothing?

Answer: a lot.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Seriously. Who's taking me to lunch today?

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hear Saban is being followed today by a guy who does nothing but carry his water. Maybe he can buy you lunch, too.

Christ. I hope Saban falls backward off the stage.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That includes every sports station from Tallahassee to Fayetteville and TV stations too. Plus every weekly paper within a 400-mile radius.

Clay Travis stirred the pot today by asking if St. Tebow was a virgin. Given how Tebow thumps his Bible (not that there's anything wrong with that) every chance he gets, it seemed like a semi-reasonable question. Others have expressed Doyel-esque outrage over it.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There is no good reason to ask that question. Fuck that douchebag for asking it.

Draft saved Draft deleted