1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media Credentials for bloggers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 30, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

It would be nice if we had similiar requirements for posting on SJ.

Then we'd be rid of you.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I would think a team, league, college, etc., would make a determination based on the blog or Web site.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I got a good laugh from this, picturing the typical NYC media herd and Norm McLean working the cafeteria.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Indiansnetwork, et al, don't forget that the media is ultimately granted access by the team or event in question, not by other media, and that the team or event grants access based on what it believes to be that media's effect in publicizing its event. That's why ESPN gets as many credentials as it wants, and the local suburban weekly might get a back-row seat, if any. Indiansnetwork, et al, you act like suddenly the New York Yankees are going to toss out the dailies and let any schlub with an Internet connection in the door. That won't happen.

But why shouldn't say, the Oakland A's grant access to the folks at athleticsnation? It represents a group of fans they want to reach and retain -- shoring up the base, if you will. Just to use that example, I wouldn't be shocked if more A's fans read that site than they do one of the local suburban papers.

Plus, the whole argument about bloggers being the clown car of sports journalism is hilarious, given how I've seen some supposed "real" journalists act. Why do you think there has to be a stated rule about no cheering in the press box?

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Here's the thread Bob was talking about - a very good one.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/31298/

My take: Set a standard. Make it high. Base the standard on (1) hits and (2) if the 'blog' has major ads on it.

Then give those who meet the standards the same access as everybody else.

Giving all bloggers half-assed privileges does nobody any good.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Blog this: http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=6111d292-5363-4320-85ea-180f31da38c7&k=6607

My favourite line, from a blogger: "Because we do this from our basement offices doesn't mean we're lonely," he said.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I've seen many, many blogs written better than this story. It might be fun to say all bloggers are dysfunctional dweebs who live in their parents' basements, but we all know it's disingenuous just like most sweeping generalizations.

Draft saved Draft deleted