1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media boycott

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jim Tom Pinch, Sep 6, 2007.

1. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Nobody where I work gives a damn about high school football, but I still can learn a lot about the craft of journalism by reading threads on the topic.

Thanks for your input though.

2. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I'm with you. I'm a former Rugby player and I'd love to follow the matches but I have to side with my brothers and sisters in the business on this one.
    Perhaps I should purchase that DirecTV channel with the Cup matches. I think it's channel 615 ... Sentata or something or other.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

And here, I thought I was somebody. ;)

In my opinion, this is like soccer was years ago. The *only* time you need to consider running it is during the World Cup. In some respects, it's like running Olympic fencing results.

There are pockets in the country (and in Canada), where there is interest.

Generally, though, I go watch it in Irish pubs. Gotta love those 8 a.m. sessions with Guinness. Oh, wait, that's a different thread.

4. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

High school girls rugby is one of the fastest growing sports in Ontario. Actually, on the boys side, many schools are scrapping their football program (liability issues) and going with rugby programs instead.

I covered a lot of rugby a couple years ago. It's a great sport. It especially makes for great visuals.

As to the topic of the thread...

I'm not sure this is a fight the rugby people want to have. With AP part of the protest, the chances of anything ending up in a US paper would seem pretty slim. And I'd imagine the US is a market rugby would like to break into.

Here in Canada, I've actually noticed that there has been less coverage of this than usual (it usually gets some space--Canada is the top North American side, which is a bit like winning a beauty contest in a nunnery.) I suspect this is why.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

You will all be happy to know that Romanesko just posted that there has been an agreement reached.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good. Now I can begin reading newspapers again.

7. Simon

Simon Active Member

Good, Maybe papers will grow some balls against the NFL.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you judge your populous by the people you work with ... you ARE a fucking rookie, aren't you?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

uh ... that's populace, you grizzled veteran, you. ;)

10. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Tom...

Don't eat yellow snow.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The AP is only boycotting it because they would have to slug it RUG- and they know how sophomoric we are.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Kind of like when they move separate men's and women's stories from the French Open: "French Women"

Draft saved Draft deleted