1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media boycott

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jim Tom Pinch, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Sorry if I'm D_Bing.

Apparently the A.P., Reuters and other major international news agencies are boycotting the Rugby World Cup. I realize nobody here cares about Rugby, but the resolution of this could impact other international events.

http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUSL0591697820070905

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fascinating. Don't show this article to anyone connected to an American sports league with N or M at the beginning of its acronym.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So is the issue not posting live updates from the matches?

The World Cup would benefit from the press, and I don't know what commercial interests they really think they have to protect.

I can see the photo issue, kind of, but in reality, I don't think it's a big deal.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, is THAT why I haven't read a thing about it??

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

AP's take, via Romenesko

http://www.ap.org/FOI/foi_090607a.html

Papers are fighting for more than 45 seconds in the NFL and Rugby allows three min? I guess it's different though when you are a wire service and trying to make multiple countries happy, instead of just talking to one key player from your local coverage area.

6. EnZona

EnZona Member

Who do they think they are? The NFL? I am a rugby fan, but as a journalist I have to side with the AP and other wire services on this. Maybe this could have a trickle down effect back to the us and our problems here in the states.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

As someone who actually cares about the Rugby World Cup (Go Portugal!), I know that the worldwide TV revenues are huge to them and unlike the NFL, etc., seasons, the Cup only lasts six weeks.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The video issue would have affected myself if I was still going to cover the U.S. as I am credentialed for a few matches.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If I'm an AP client and I give a crap about Rugby, I'm ticked.
    I'm paying you to be at that game.
    Plus, the Rugby peoples' demands are not unreasonable. It's not like that silly crap where some golf organization said it owned all the images from its event.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nobody gives a crap about rugby.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Nobody here, maybe.
    In England, Argentina, France, several other places, they care a good deal. The AP doesn't just have clients in Kansas, you know.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nobody gives a damn about rugby in florida, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted