1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media Bowl Gifts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alex.riley21, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Bloomin Onion appetizers before kickoff and steak at halftime.

2. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

A little late, but the haughty idea that your coverage is compromised by a bowl gift or outing is way over-the-top.
    I covered the Meineke Car Care Bowl last week. All of us scribes got to ride around Charlotte Motor Speedway at 165 MPH in a fire suit.
    After the game, we got a small gift bag - a Meineke Bowl tumbler, a Belk Bowl hat (it's being sponsored by Belk, the department store chain, next year) and a small ceramic Belk shopping bag currently being used as my toothbrush holder.
    None of that stopped me from writing about the oceans of empty seats in the stadium or describing it as a typical mid-level bowl. Sheesh.
    Most of the bowl gifts I've received over the years are in my closet - a nice travel bag from the Gator Bowl, a fleece blanket from the Music City Bowl, a beach towel from the Champs Sports Bowl. They didn't affect my coverage one bit.
    As someone else said already, get over yourself.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And the line for that halftime spread in the Outback Bowl would start with about 10 min left in the second quarter, though not with writers but with the countless riffraff that end up in bowl press boxes.

At one Outback Bowl I got a little notebook-portfolio thing that was covered in football-like cowhide. Gave it to my brother-in-law, a high school football coach. He was as giddy as a kid on Christmas morning.

I'd decline the car because I'd lose my amateur status. heh.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know I turned into a whore for the Orange Bowl when they gave me a beach towel.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Well, if you can't hold your alcohol, a few beers might mess with your professionalism, I suppose.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was the night before the game. Would you rather I lock myself in the hotel room and contemplate the award-winning sidebar I was going to write the next day? Or hit the strip clubs? Or maybe infiltrate the team's hotel and hold a glass to the door of each player to see who's staying up 10 minutes past curfew?
    Considering I filed five stories and worked a 13-hour day the next day, I think I earned a little R&R. That I didn't have to expense a meal made the superiors happy, too.

On the larger topic this has morphed into, I think I once heard somewhere that a good rule of thumb is $25. That might be a bit low these days, though. Might need to be raised to $50.
    The car at the golf tournament? Yeah, you should probably turn that down or donate it to charity.
    The box of golf balls at the same tournament? OK.
    A $200 steakhouse dinner paid for by a source or bowl committee? Pick up the check.
    A free hamburger from the concession stand after a high school football game? Pick up the mustard.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I almost forgot. I have four surviving Super Bowl champagne glasses from post-Super Bowl supper buffets. I cherish those, too.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I accepted a gift from a source one time. I did a feature story on this track invention a local coach had created. Afterward he handed me a track backpack. I thought it would be unethical at first but then realized that I A). needed a backpack and B.) Wrote the story because it was newsworthy not for the backpack.

It also wasn't going to influence my future decision to write stories. If the guy had another newsworthy story, I would have called him again - because that was my job and I needed a paycheck. Not because I got a backpack.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

To change the subject just a little, which bowl games do the best job of catering to the media from a professional standpoint?

By that I mean which game provides the best working environment for game week and game day.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

1. Fiesta (and BCS championship in years when it's in Phoenix)
    2. Cotton.
    3. Gator.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How so? Seems to me the biggest issue is how much access you get to players/coaches during the week and after the game. Do the bowls control that?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The two Sugar Bowls I covered had ridiculous amounts of access. If there was a media gift, I'm unaware. Working conditions were great.

The Gator Bowls I've covered only had one organized thing that I knew about but it was easy to get to both practices and get what you needed.

I did one Insight Bowl and it was unreal. The hotel (the Camelback, same as being used for this year's title game) was exceptional, there was tons of access and availability and you could still get to practices. Hospitality area as big as any I've seen. Amazingly helpful people. I was checking out as some writers for the Fiesta were checking in and they told me I hadn't seen anything. That was just the warm up.

Those people are GOOD.

Covered the first San Francisco Bowl, when VT beat Air Force. Can't even remember the sponsor. One weak press conference the day before the game. A media workroom at the hotel with nothing in it - they never even changed the water pitchers. But probably the most fun I've had at a bowl. We had full access to practice and plenty of time after work to enjoy San Francisco. I had my family with me and I'd catch up with them after working.

They gave out those mini-writing pad/portfolios after that one. I gave it to my wife.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.