1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media Bowl Gifts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alex.riley21, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's true, it also depends on where the paper is located and how much is put into it financially. But papers that are more recognized and in metropolitan cities or good size towns are able to pay your way.
    [/quote]

Interesting. Please tell us more about how newspapers work.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a gamer. From my experience covering college games, it's easier to write a decent story when the stats are handed to you and your interviews are lined up.

When your thrown to the wolves keeping your own stats in the rain and snow, running all over the place to chase down players and coaches, and write a good story on top of that in 10-15 minutes, that takes talent that can't be measured by covering a game in an air conditioned press box.

3. Starting17

Starting17 Member

Well some people already now know who I am but ok. http://www.rantsports.com/blog/author/larshanson
    Well honestly yeah having the stats printed every quarter, half and end of game and then having the quotes printed for you after the PC always is easier. However some people are just not able to talk to bigger notable people. Like in a professional way. I've had people that think that interviewing a player anyone can do and that its easy, including phone interviews.

Now I will admit high school is a lot more to cover because depending on where you're located you could have anywhere from 5-25 schools you have to cover. And there's no press box in high school. Although little fact the old Huskies press box was a little more than air conditioned, it was open air so come November and late October it was just a tad bit cold.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

The rebirth of this thread is the true Christmas miracle.

5. Lars Hanson

Lars Hanson New Member

And I'll bet you do a great job.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Rebirth, Beej, or afterbirth?

7. Starting17

Starting17 Member

rebirth my guess.

8. Starting17

Starting17 Member

You do great at your job Andrew, stalking me. Doesn't pay anything tho no benefits or anything just pathetic. This is a thread for media bowl gifts encase you didn't notice...since you have nothing to contribute why are you here? Besides stalking me.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If a man were encased in a thread of media bowl gifts ... would that make him the mummy of Lynn Hoppes?

10. Starting17

Starting17 Member

Possibly...

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'd like to think this is a board for serious, professional journalists. And then this happens...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.