1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Medal of Honor "winners"? WTF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colonel Angus, Jun 5, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Just a note to back up what TBF was saying...

Within the military journalism ranks, since most MOH recipients are indeed deceased when it's given, they're usually referred to as being "awarded." And it's the Medal of Honor...plain and simple. Nothing Congressional in the name, anymore.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I stand corrected on that kid. His has been awarded. I just read it in the Army Times.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

But 'awarded' lacks the connotation of 'earning.' It's more akin to being 'granted' or having the medal 'conferred upon' the recipient. It's passive.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I agree, but in journalism writing I would go with "awarded." It's a good description of what Congress is doing while avoiding the value judgment of "earned." (unless the reporter was there to witness the alleged honorable acts himself)

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Many journalists (and their copy editors) are taught to write in active voice. "Win" is active; "was awarded" is passive.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If you get a chance to talk to any living MOH recipients, a lot of them will tell you they didn't "earn" it. They were just doing their duty.

7. Dedo

Dedo Member

At our paper, which has a large military readership base, this topic is addressed this in our stylebook. Medals of Honor are awarded and received, never won.

For those worried about active voice, "received the Medal of Honor" works. And when you think about it, avoiding the verb "win" only makes sense. This is not a prize that is sought after by the recipients. If anything, it's an easy enough guideline to follow, and it will prevent you from ever having to answer dozens of e-mails from retired colonels and sergeants pointing out your mistake.

8. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Thanks for that correction, Bats. I've been out of the biz for a while and forgot to steal the book from my last job. ;)

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My point was just one of active voice vs. passive voice.
    It's also about connotation. 'Received' is an active verb, but it's connotation is passive.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

So if you're Muslim, do you "win" the 72 virgins, or do you "earn" them? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted