1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meatless Fridays

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Feb 14, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Back when I was catholic, I looked forward to those Friday fish frys.

Even without meat or fish, your options are pretty wide open.

Meatless pasta dishes are the easiest, especially if you go for the frozen ravioli or tortellini suggested above. If you're worried about a lot or carbs in pasta dishes, I suggest using spelt pasta. The brand I use, VitaSpelt, comes in a variety of forms, and is really light. Meatless Mexican dishes can be delicious as well.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

That's what I'm making tomorrow. I have cheese tortellini in the freezer. It's totally on the menu.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

The thread should be what are you giving up for Lent?
    I'm ditching coffee, easier cause my work coffee pal just left the paper, so I have no one to get it with.
    As for Fridays, pasta, fish, bean burritos, bagels with cream cheese, waffles, grilled cheese, NE clam chowder will get the job done.
    We have a great fish place close by which serves the best lobster bisque of all time.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I think we had that thread. I also gave up coffee but doc and I gave up eating out, too.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I gave up soda. So far, I'm not missing anything. And I'm thinking of completely eliminating soda from my life following the 40 days and nights.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

FUN WITH QUOTE FUNCTION RED ALERT! RED ALERT!

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Looking to avoid meat, you can try an egg salad sandwich on rye, pierogis (which are a polish dumpling, usually filled with either cheese, potato, or saurkraut). For something hot, I like stir-fry in a bit of Terriaki and maybe some tuna.

And if you can find some, do not buy progresso, get Snow's clam chowder instead--much better. Instead of a can of milk, mix 1/2 milk and 1/2 heavy cream---yum-oh

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This link was in a google ad at the top of the page: http://www.cok.net/lit/recipes/

Oddly, that ad seems to alternate with one for the Brooklyn Pork Store.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

cheese enchilatas
    eggplant parm
    spaghetti & meatballs (using groundup boca burgers instead of meat)
    Greek salad
    all the suggestions others have made

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I could get into cheese enchiladas. I could totally get into that.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The ad I'm getting is for "Do you doubt your Lover?"

I'm not Catholic, but I do love grilled cheese and PB&J.

12. Taking the wife to Ruth's Chris on Friday.

mmmmm, meat.

Draft saved Draft deleted