1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meatless Fridays

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Feb 14, 2008.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

So Doc is Catholic and as such, we're not eating meat on Fridays until Easter.

I've been looking for recipes that aren't called "Frozen cheese pizza" for awhile, but haven't found a lot. Anyone have any good meatless recipes. I know we have some vegetarians on the board.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Grilled cheese, tomato soup and tuna fish....

or, just follow the green-bean casserole recipe, but swap out California blend (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) and mix in a half bag of shredded swiss cheese.
    Try fish, if your so inclined, or big ass salads.

I'm not a vegetarian, but after a lifetime of damn meatless Fridays, you learn

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Fish. That is all. I don't have time right now, but when I get a chance I'll send you some awesome fish recipes.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Please don't. I don't eat anything that's ever lived in water. No fish, no shrimp, no lobster. The closest is crab rangoon and that usually has imitation crap in it.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Cheese omelets, pancakes, french toast, spaghetti with tomato sauce are all staples of my Lentian diet.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

How many Fridays until Easter? There have to be plenty of grilled chicken recipes out there.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

good suggestions. With the diet thing, I know frozen pizza won't work anymore. That used to be every Friday night.

At least I made enough dinner last night to have leftovers for Doc to take to work tonight and eat before it turns midnight. That becomes part of the problem. We're actually eating the non-meat meal on Friday just after midnight.

And breakfast for me on Friday mornings is rough. I usually eat lean pocket breakfast meals, but I suppose I'll be hardboiling some eggs tonight for tomorrow morning.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Can't eat chicken either. If I could, this would be easy. I have tons of chicken recipes.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know, if you aren't Catholic, you aren't bound by not eating meat on Friday. You are fully entitled to eat your morning lean pockets.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Poor Doc....

11. You sound like my wife, which makes Fridays rough. Here's another level of difficulty, though: She doesn't like salads.

So no fish, no salads. Getting tired of cheese-based dishes, too.

My suggestion: order out for Chinese. Go for the vegetable lo mein. God knows what's in an egg roll, but I'm pretty sure it's not meat.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Wow! Are we married to the same woman? I have the same issues.

We kind of cheat by getting boca hamburger meat (not real meat) and use it as a meat substitute for pasta and quesadillas. Or, there's always rice and beans, rice and beans or rice and beans.

Draft saved Draft deleted