1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile, across town at the LA Daily News ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 2, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

ME Melissa Lalum has announced she's leaving the LANG July 18 to join the J-school faculty at CSU-Northridge. Carolina Garcia intends to restructure the management of the newsroom away from the traditional model.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/07/managing_editor_next_to_d.php

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

"Restructure the management of the newsroom away from the traditional model" -- what does that mean?

No more bootlickers, no more mid-level muckety mucks, no more bobblehead types nodding in agreement with whatever Ms. Garcia (or other bosses) say? A few folks who can tolerate a difference of opinion, whether from the foot soldiers or a department head, without feeling threatened by the "insubordination"? Better yet, a few folks who will tell their bosses in the mahogany-paneled suites when they have gone too far in their cutting and slashing ambitions?

Here is how Ms. Garcia ends her memo. So maybe she has no f***ing idea what she's talking about:

I plan on restructuring the management of the newsroom, moving away from the more traditional model we’ve had in place here. If you have any ideas, suggestions, swing by.
    Gracias,
    Carolina Garcia

Yeah, I have a suggestion for ya, right here...

3. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

That place is truly a madhouse.

Melissa Lalum, however, seemed to be able to rise above it. For quite a while, anyway.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I'm not saying I have a solution to the problem, but I also know I don't feel comfortable relying on a bunch of guys to fix a problem they created in the first fuckin place.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Always true -- in all arenas.

Draft saved Draft deleted