1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Me, too'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 15, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It used to be that going back and reading threads to catch up was entertaining. But not when so many have turned into parsing words and boring semantics. I love language, but JFC is some of this shit just eye-glazing and a waste of time.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's not "semantics," whatever that even means any more.

Two sentences mean two different things entirely here, depending on which verb is used. Journalists are using "reveals" for a particular reason, and posters are defending it for a particular reason. And then when you point it out, you're the one being "semantic."

What I am supposed to do? Just give in when I'm right?

3. CD Boogie

Yes. You're beating a dead horse. Take solace in knowing (thinking?) you're right. And let. it. freaking. go.

4. Dick Whitman

People raise a question. I answer. I'm really not sure why that's improper. Seems courteous. No one is forcing you to read it.

5. CD Boogie

You're something of a last-word freak, which can be quite an Achilles' heal. I simply don't enjoy arguing until I'm blue in the face, reiterating the same talking points to the same people who are equally dug in. It seems wasteful.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We're the online equivalent of Dick's first-year reading group. The thing he sharpens himself against.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I agree with you on this.
    However, I have to point out, since you started the thread, I think you, technically, raised the question, not 'people.'

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Whoa. Wasn't a dig at all. I have no strong feelings on the journalism question, but my gut is that you're right. I just keep reading the word allegedly which was what they made fun of SJ for putting into every sentence and not knowing what it meant.

9. Dick Whitman

Well, don't I feel like a big horse's ass then.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

One less feud for you; more time to focus on the true haters.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Speaking of humorless ...

12. Dick Whitman

I'm usually trying to tread water until some of the reasonable people like @Stoney , @Alma, and @service_gamer arrive to assist.

Draft saved Draft deleted