1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ME takes vacation on two hour notice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cubbiebum, Apr 26, 2011.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Perhaps as a journalist you are supposed to read the OP before firing off some cliché?

I'll quote something from it about the ME: "he does most of the designing."

As such if everyone just hunkered down and knew what was happening on the beat... well the paper still wouldn't lay itself out.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

You might want to try decaffeinated for a while.

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

You might want to try reading.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Not much of a coffee drinker, sorry to say.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

So Cubbie started this thread because no one knows where he works.

Then he goes on to say his ME is going on vacation for two days unannounced, and he does most of the designing. OK, maybe that happens lots of places.

Then he goes on and admits he's taking a day off for personal reasons to go to a job interview.

If anyone puts 1 and 1 together, Cubbie might better hope that interview goes well.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

That is why I'm not saying where I work. Some probably know but none of my co-workers are part of this site. Anyways the difference is I gave three weeks notice of one day off. he gave two hours notice of two days off. Big difference.

I don't care if he takes a vacation but it's courteous to give the staff warning. A big shop it wouldn't matter as much but in a very small shop it matters a lot.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you're interviewing in Dickinson, bring a book.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I hope you said something to the effect of, "Sorry, boss, but I have plans. I wish you had mentioned this to me sooner. As it is, I'm not changing the arrangements I've made."

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's understandable on his part, but.....having to handle a hundred different things is why he's the boss and, ostensibly, why he gets the big bucks.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Courtesy isn't mandatory.

11. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Obviously not.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's EXACTLY what DQ should have sent. Either that, and/or this:

"Sorry, I'm actually on my day off and I just came in real quick to finish this one thing. And I'm not supposed to be in here anyways, since it doesn't count for overtime."

Draft saved Draft deleted