1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ME takes vacation on two hour notice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cubbiebum, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I'm not going to name names and I don't believe people on here know where I work (maybe a few) so I'm curious to get others thoughts on this.

I work all morning in the newsroom same as a couple reporters and the managing editor. I leave in the early afternoon for a baseball double-header and when I get back I see the status on our board for the ME as "vacation, back on Thursday." We have a weekly newsroom meeting and he hadn't mentioned any of this. It was also never mentioned on Monday morning when we were all in the newsroom.

I talked to a co-worker and he said the ME announced at 3 p.m. that he was taking a two day vacation starting at 5 p.m. because he had family in town. My co-worker, and all other reporters, knew nothing of this.

A managing editor going on vacation is always going to change things up but we are a small shop and he does most of the designing. Making it worse, the other main designer has Monday's off and thus will be in for a surprise tomorrow.

I am really at a loss for words. To me, it is extremely unprofessional for anyone to do this let alone the ME. It's something that if I was the publisher I would say too bad you have to work or find another job. It's one thing if it is an emergency but to my understanding it is simply he has family coming to town. That's not an emergency. Plus his family all live very far away and thus this would have to be something planned in advance.

All I can think of is he is either lying and it is something he doesn't want everyone to know or he is making a very unprofessional decision.

Is this something your newspaper would be OK with?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Without having even the slightest clue about this person's work ethic, I think there's a good chance that this was a family emergency that he didn't want to tell everyone about. The publisher may very well know details that you don't have.

That said, if that's not true, it's very unprofessional.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Ehhhh. I'm kind of with Versatile. How is his work ethic normally? If he's usually a jackass, then sure, this is probably another dick move. But if he's normally a decent guy, I'd be more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially since it's just a two-day "vacation."

Other question: What has been his reaction to other people trying to take one or two days off with little notice? At past shops, this generally hasn't been a big deal.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or maybe the ME has a job interview elsewhere and is using the family thing as an excuse? Just saying.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

He's a nice guy. He gets the job done. He's not a workaholic but he puts in the hours needed.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

That thought occurred to me. I'm doing that in a couple weeks. Just said it was personal and didn't want to get into the details. That said I worked it into my normal off day so I'm only taking one day off and I have three weeks notice. I doubt someone is wanting him to fly in for an interview and gave him less than a days notice.

Sgreenwell, he will grant the day as long as it is in asked for in advance. He won't be overly happy about it but as long as you give a week or two notice he accepts.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

To me, if it's a family emergency, then use the words "family emergency," or something similar. Assuming he did say "I have family in town," that leaves open the door to people assuming that he just wants a couple days off to have a barbecue. I mean, it's up to him what he wants people to think, I guess. But I don't think it's all that big a deal to say "family emergency" or whatever.

And if it's not an emergency, and he wouldn't let anyone else skate off with two hours' notice, then yeah, he is being a dick.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

An ME being a dick? That's a new one.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that people had to announce a reason to get the days off they are due.

That said, the ME should have had a discussion with some folks about how to spread out his duties.

I am going to assume it was some kind of emergency if he normally doesn't pull crap like this.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've lost track of how many bosses I've had who would go on unannounced vacations. I asked one about it once and he said, "If everyone knows I'll be gone for a week, I get hit with a hundred different things before I go."

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure, if you want. It's just not required.

I figure people's off time is their business. Not mine.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, my boss always details his vacation plans to me. ::)

Seriously, folks. The ME's supervisor apparently bought the reason he gave for taking off on short notice. That's all that needs to be said. Now, could he have sent an email explaining what his loss means? Sure. But if the folks in an office have to be told what to do in a supervisor's absence, they don't need to be there.

Draft saved Draft deleted