1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ME for Dave Campbell's Texas Football

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bpoindexter, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

If we're going to quibble about money, 80% of the people just laid off from the FWST made the lower end of that scale. It's the going rate in the area outside of Dallas proper.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Everything is relative when it comes to money. Is $40k a year considered "good"? Well, it depends what you are comparing it to. If you want to compare it to a teacher, much less other white-collar professionals, then I guess not.

I was told long ago that if you're in it solely for the paycheck, journalism isn't the way to go. I think most regulars on this board probably learned that somewhere along the way.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

multitude of excuses.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

TP speaketh the truth, friends. This isn't an entry-level prep gig. This isn't a five-years-in-the-biz-step-up gig. This is a big-boy (or big-girl), prime-time job. And that it allegedly pays what it does borders on larceny.

RB

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

why do you consider this a "big-boy prime-time" job, rb?

6. Rockbottom

Well, for one thing, the folks at DCTF consider it one -- if not by the payscale, at least by the amount of responsibility. For all the reasons stated earlier by others, this gig equals -- in many ways -- a statewide prep and college editor at the DMN or FWST

I bet the equivalent of this job at those two locales pay WAY more than the wage listed.

RB

7. That's assuming those positions still exist.

8. Rockbottom

Can't argue with that, PBR07. Wish I could ...

RB

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

If people have ever lived in Texas, they'll understand that this publication is unrivaled for statewide coverage of high school football, with strong coverage of college and the NFL.

Sad to say that the pay scale doesn't show much respect for the position.

I would have guessed that this position would have paid between $50K-$60K. It's a top-level gig with a well-respected magazine.

Guess that even Big Dave needs to save a buck here and there.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

those trips to europe don't pay for themselves.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'm a lifelong texan and texas high school football fan. dctf was supposedly a big deal when it was just about the only resource out there but it never had great in-depth coverage. what it did have was a monopoly or near-monopoly on very, very, very basic info - basically, it was the only glass of water in the middle of a desert.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i thought you lived in east texas.

Draft saved Draft deleted