1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ME for Dave Campbell's Texas Football

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bpoindexter, Mar 3, 2009.

1. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Yes, God forbid you have to live in a state with great food, beautiful land and gorgous women. Some parts of Texas don't rank as high in those categories, but it's kind of silly to condemn an entire state.

Except New Jersey. Few good things come from there.

2. shortstop

shortstop New Member

Dallas is a great place to live. I lived there during part of my childhood and loved it. Some parts of Texas I wouldn't live in, but Dallas is great (it's just real big). And Dave Campbell's magazine is still very good. It really is a part of Texas football life.
    As for the gorgeous women from Texas, here's a few: Jennifer Garner, Eva Longoria, Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Shannon Elizabeth, Beyonce Knowles, Hilary Duff, Haylie Duff, Angie Harmon, 2 of the 3 original Charlie's Angels (Jaclyn Smith and Farrah Fawcett), Alexis Bledel, Kelly Clarkson, Jerry Hall, Robin Wright Penn, Demi Lovato and Piper Perabo.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Not sure what all the Texas bashing is about. Doesn't matter, if you don't live/haven't lived and worked in Texas for a few years, you won't even get considered for this job. And thoe of us in Texas knows that in this industry in this area, that salary is decent.

Jake is moving up.
    And his credentials weren't exactly stunning before he took the job. His biggest asset was a Texas background, and he had produced a decent football tab.

Like Angola said though, this thing is printed so early now, there are a lot of mistakes, which is sad. (Althought the last big issue didn't have as many mistakes as the previous four) Even sadder is that every football fan in the state buys a copy despite the mistakes.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm a DFW native and I think DFW sucks ballsack, but that's just me.

5. jps

jps Active Member

jake worked a lot on this last one, fine tuning different areas/aspects of the edition. a redesign of sorts, and I really liked how it turned out. the problem, as has been pointed out, is how early the thing comes out, but that's the nature of the magazine. takes some time to put together and it's the first on the racks. copy has to be in really, really early for that thing in order for them to hit deadlines. but even then I think they just don't have a lot of time to read the thing over before it gets shipped out - many of the mistakes are name misspells that would otherwise be caught if there was time to copy edit all the fine print.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Rockbottom Pipleline reports that interviews start Monday.

RB

7. txrangerman

txrangerman Member

Second rockbottom. I'm not in the running, but have a couple of friends who could be and have heard the same. If I wasn't happy where I was, I'd be in the mix, too. For those who say the salary isn't great, compared to what? Being unemployed? Consider the great sports writers that have been laid off around DFW in the past few years (and there are plenty). They won't need to go out of state b/c there are plenty of great candidates here, and I don't know a single prep football writer in the state that would turn their nose up at this job (unless they're either happy where they are or, as one esteemed panelist said, they hate DFW). Anyone who loves high school football in Texas loves this publication, and whoever gets this job is set for a long, long time. I don't know Jake, but I've enjoyed the last few DCTFs, so hats off to him wherever he's headed. If he's being promoted, that's a bonus for the new editor come crunch time.

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I admit, I can get a little bit bitter 'bout my darlin' Hellplex these days. Part of my bitterness can be traced to the fact that Rick's On The Brick's (Fort Worth) and The Corner Tap (Dallas) are now closed. ;)

Seriously, I do actually enjoy going back for visits, but it'd take a hell of a job for me to want to live there again. It'll always be home...and that being the case, I'll likely always be a wanderer.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

My Pipeline peeps tell me that the first round of interviews is complete, and after "internal conversation", they. will let folks know of an update on Monday.

RB

10. earl.campbell

earl.campbell New Member

sounds like someone is up for the job.

word on the street is more than 70 people applied, around 12-15 were called for phone interviews, and after the "internal conversation" rockbottom spoke of, they will bring in 3-5 finalists for face-to-face interviews. like rockbottom said, the "update" will come monday.

jake shaw is indeed leaving dctf, but not immediately.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ridiculous argument.

12. Sounds like a big job, but living on 40K in Dallas isn't hard to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted