1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ME for Dave Campbell's Texas Football

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bpoindexter, Mar 3, 2009.

1. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Company: Dave Campbell's Texas Football
    Position: Seeking Managing Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $35,000 to $40,000
    Ad Expires: March 25, 2009
    Job ID: 1021798

Description:
    One of the oldest and most unique football media brands in the nation is looking for a Managing Editor to start in the late Spring. Dave Campbell's Texas Football turns 50 this year and has expanded to include radio, internet, and event marketing to go with its bi-annual magazine known as the "bible" for football fans in the Lone Star State.

We are looking for someone with magazine content and editing experience as well as experience with basic HTML code, web design, and content management.

Experience with other media (Radio, TV, Blogosphere) is an asset.

Extensive knowledge of High School and College football in Texas is a must.

Preferred 3-5 years experience with daily or weekly newspaper as well as basic quark and Adobe software knowledge.

Please send resume to either jake.shaw@imgworld.com or travis.stewart@imgworld.com.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

People take this thing quite seriously, despite its rather dated and ordinary appearance. I heard that when Campbell called a Texas paper a few years back and the person answering had no idea who he was, the staffers in the office couldn't stop laughing and that Campbell was dumbfounded by not being instantly recognized.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's obvious by the awesome pay.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It is very highly thought of. But it also comes out so early, that there are always tons of mistakes in it -- though really, the schedules should never be screwed up because in Texas they hammer the schedules out 2 years in advance.

I know a guy who would be perfect for this job, but I'm not sure if he'd want to move.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I, too, know a guy who would be perfect for this job.

rb

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there would be some job security with that sonuvabitch.

7. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I have everyone of these things back to 1989. I get all tingly in July when it comes out.
    When I covered high schools in the late 1990s, I nearly wore it out by the end of the seeason.
    Anyone remember during an episode of Friday Night Lights when they had Smash on the cover of TF?

8. redsox99

redsox99 Member

I go back to 1984, but I have an uncle who cleaned out his garage and found several from the late 60s early 70s that he passed along to me. I love thumbing through the old ones and seeing which of the Super Team selections actually did anything at the next level. I also have a nice collection of the Dave Campbell's Arkansas Football magazines from the old SWC days.

9. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Best thing about the job would be not having to live in Waco.

10. Dave Campbell's is a great magazine that has a ton of work put into it. And they accomplish all of it with fewer people than you would think. Jake Shaw does a great job over there, and he's a great guy, too.

I'm expecting an awesome issue this year for the 50th anniversary.

11. dargan

dargan Active Member

I second pressboxramblings. A lot of work done by very few people. (Imagine that, right?)

Jake Shaw's a great guy. Football season in Texas officially starts when DCTF hits the stand the second week of June.

12. blueview

blueview Member

LOL, so do I - and he's a local. I saw this and thought, I would love to have this job ... then I thought, my friend would be PERFECT for this job. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted