1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Interesting list of things many people say incorrectly. I say many of them incorrectly, but I think when writing, I've got most of these correct.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/24-things-you-might-be-saying-wrong-2338028/

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For all intensive purposes, we minus well not worry about it.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

That thing you wrote their was full of mistake.s You should of read the story, moran.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I hate "by the same token"
    it's "on the same token" and goes back to NY subway riders. 2 would get through the turnstile "on the same token" meaning 2 people would pass on one token, on the same token.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've had the over/more than under/less than thing beaten into my brain and now they are telling me it doesn't matter. ???

One time in college I wrote that the crowd at a game was over 40,000, or something like that, and the faculty advisor for the student paper started screaming at me. "Oh, the fans were magically hovering above the number $40,000."

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I still think the "over/more than" issue is prescriptivists being dicks about a battle they've already lost and don't want to admit.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I totally agree, and I don't even know what prescriptivists means.

8. He means prescriptions

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

This article is a mute point.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've been taught the word "only" should always be followed by the word "one."

In other words, there can not be "only two." There can be "just two."

11. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

That's a "moo" point.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What if you only use the word while at work and the word 'one' never appears?

Draft saved Draft deleted