1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MDA's downsized not-a-telethon: Life after Jerry Lewis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Sep 3, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I know this d_b's with other topics on this board, but, to show how much a Labor Day tradition has slipped, I didn't even think of this until surfing the channel grids tonight:

The annual Muscular Dystrophy Association television fundraiser goes a new way Sunday, with a different title and featuring three hours of taped appearances by entertainers including country music star Carrie Underwood, pop singer Gavin DeGraw, alternative pop group OneRepublic, Black Eyed Peas frontman will.i.am and songstress Carole King.

The renamed "MDA Show of Strength" was pre-produced and taped in Los Angeles, New York and Nashville, Tenn., said association spokeswoman Roxan Olivas in Tucson, Ariz.

(more at:
    http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=23419&format=html)

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watched a little of it. Definitely going for a younger demographic.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only reason I ever watched a telethon as a kid was because it was the only time over-the-air stations stayed on air all night. That changed at some point in the very late 1980s, when I remember a very young Sharyl Attkisson hosting CBS' overnight news.

Draft saved Draft deleted