1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McSweeney's produces 380-page newspaper of the future

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This is pretty awesome. It's a celebration of newsprint and a reimagined newspaper. It's got eight sections, 150 people - freelance writers, editors, photographers, designers - contributed and they'll be posting excerpts. It's a 112-page broadsheet, with a 112-page magazine and a 116-page book section, along with a weekend guide. It will come out in December.

Take a look.

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/SFPanoramaPR.html

They also worked with dozens of working and laid-off journalists from the Bay Area, including ones at the Chronicle, Mercury News, Oakland Tribune and LA Times.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I like the fun stuff at McSweeney's without being the world's biggest Eggers fan, but I do have to admire his love for print.

Hope he paid well.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I <3 McSweeney's. Eggers is very hit or miss with me, individually, but some of it is brilliant. I'm stoked by this.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Eggers is cool. He has become kind of a cornball, but it's hard to stay as on and edgy as you were in your 20s. We all get older. We all lose our hipness (if we ever had any; most of us never did). And we all become caricatures of something or other.

I still have every issue of Might, from way back in the day (before some of you were even born?), and that was one very funny, innovative magazine. He was striking on all cylinders, before he HAD to strike on all cylinders.

IJAG is right. McSweeney's is very hit or miss. When it's on, it is really, really, really good. A lot of it isn't on. Hopefully I can read through this soon. I just downloaded it. I hope this is as good as it seems to be ambitious.

5. Sneed

Sneed Guest

This looks pretty awesome.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I'll order it. I don't get the whole "newspaper of the future" business, but it looks awesome.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Eggerthes is more than hit and miss to me. Grand slam & K is more like it and it's sorta Mendoza Line for average. Still, Zeitoun and A Heartbreaking Work are 500-foot blasts in the bottom of the 9th down three runs in Game 7. I'll definitely have a look at this. He takes big swings but even his misses are fascinating. It might turn out that what he presents as the template/vision of the future is his ironic way of saying there's no future at all.

o-<

8. bronko

bronko New Member

Has anyone seen this for sale at a retail outlet today?

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It is only for sale in the Bay Area today, at the low, low price of $5 an issue.

National distribution starts this week and the price jumps to $16. The press run was about 25k with the option of printing more, if the Bay Area copies sell like hotcakes.

Draft saved Draft deleted