1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McRoberts the next Dookie NBA flop?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chester, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That would be a helluva team.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

To root against. They're all punks.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

You all have proven my point for me........don't like Duke any more than anyone else, but they have a hell of a good program...and can churn out some good ones.

But, for every Brand, Maggette, Hill, G.........you have a Wojo, Chris Collins, Laettner, Parks, etc. etc.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well, at least we'll probably be spared one use of the term "upside" during the NBA draft.

Unless it's paired with "no".

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Laettner wasn't a total flop. Just didn't live up to the hype.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hey, I hate Laettner like he had a bus loaded with Make a Wish kids hijacked and driven into a lake of sulfuric acid, but he didn't have a horrible career. Front-ended, sure, but he made an All-Star team and had a handful of respectable seasons. William Avery, he is not.

Now I'm going to shower. Hard.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

OK, let's turn this around here.

But for every Hinrich, Pierce, Manning, Gooden ......... you have a Pollard, Vaughn, LaFrentz, Ostertag, Simien, etc.

You could probably make the same argument for any top 25 program in the country. Just sub in different names.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes. Thank you for making the point.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'd be curious about which school has the highest percentage of its McDonald's All-Americans who become successful NBA players. I'd bet that Duke wouldn't be high on that list.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

It's not Duke's or Coach K's job to produce NBA stars. It's to win college basketball games.

That said, that program still turns out more NBA stars than 95 percent of the competition. What a failure, right?

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's not their job to produce NBA stars. That's true. But it tells you something about how coaches improve a player who comes in as a McDonald's All-America goes onto the NBA without the skills to succeed. It could also have something to do with the kind of player Krzyzewski recruits.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm not sure McRobert's will be considered a flop, since no-one's expecting anything from him in the first place. To flop, you have to have expectations of greatness, or at least being a good NBA pro. I don't think that sentiment is being passed around right now.

If anything, he could be one that exceeds expectations, but I'm not going to put a dollar on that happening.

Draft saved Draft deleted